Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Repurpose, Recycle, Repair

My daughter is loath to let go of her stuff.  She's even holding on to her baby teeth, which are still in her mouth.  Every time we talk about moving, she gets sad, because she was born in this house.  It's HER house, and, with the exception of perhaps a few years of travel after she turns 18, she plans to live here for the rest of her life.  Fine by me, actually.  We'll be roommates.

At first, though, I couldn't understand why she needed to hang onto everything, but then, I started preparing this post, and I realized - oops!  She gets it from me.

Back many years ago, a great-aunt passed away.  Cleaning her house was the typical story of walking into a hoarders' home - newspapers stacked everywhere, which were often used as end tables, apparently, because as they were sorting, they found dirty dishes in between the layers.  I guess it comes naturally to me, too. 

While I'm not quite the hoarder my aunt was, and I'm better at letting go than my daughter, there are still things that I keep, because I feel that they may have value. 

Most of my long-time readers (and family and friends) know that I don't do wrapping paper.  We wrap presents in all sorts of paper, including: newspapers (we actually collect the "free" papers throughout the year for various projects); magazines; and catalogs.   Most of the time the gift is just that simple - wrapped in recycled paper with no trimmings.

This year, though, I had this ball of twine, and in an effort to look more festive, we wrapped the gifts a usual, but then, put some twine around them to fancy them up (curses to you Pinterest!!).  So, the day came and went.  The paper ended up in the fire, and the twine was heading that way, but then, I thought, "Wait!" 

Yep.  Just like that.

"Wait!  I can probably reuse that!"


So, I collected it, balled it up, and kept it.  Worst case, I have twine for next year's gift giving. 

Most folks also know that we raise rabbits.  Winter is particularly difficult for us, because those bottles tend to freeze in our weather, and even if we only partially fill them, it takes a while for them to thaw - or it takes gallons of hot, running water - neither of which is optimal. 

The other issue is that those plastic bottles tend to break, and so there are many times when we need another bottle. 

The solution is to have extra bottles, but that, too, can be a problem, as they're expensive.  We pay around $15 for a water bottle replacement - which includes the plastic bottle, the nipple fixture and the little thingy to hold the bottle on the wire hutches.  Times six rabbits, that's a pretty big chunk of change.  We considered buying the extra bottles one-at-a-time when we have extra cash.  Problem is that we never seem to have the extra cash as frequently as we needed to build up the stock, and we were always being forced into buying them as an emergency (i.e. one broke and had to be replaced).

Then, Deus Ex Machina found THESE online. 


Those little spring things are awesome, by the way.  Much better than any of the other apparatus we've used for holding the bottles onto the hutch. 

We, now, have two bottles per rabbit.  One is outside with the rabbit.  The other is inside thawing.  Works great. Problem solved - at a cost of just under $3 each.  So, basically, for the cost of one replacement bottle, we replaced them all.  Score!

Then, there was the problem of my jeans.  I have this pair that I just love.  I tried finding the same pair locally, but no one carried that size and style.  So, I ordered a pair from an online vendor, but when it got here, the fit wasn't the same.  The problem is that the fabric on the thighs is so thin, now, but I only have two pairs of jeans. 

So, I fixed them. 



Hooray for iron-on patches!  The patches are on the insides of the jeans, and yes, one can (just barely) see the colored patches.  Whatever.  I like it. And they'll last for, at least, the rest of the season.  Then, I can go back to wearing skirts for the summer ... and maybe those jeans will become a skirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment