Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Foraging Sundays

We intended to start our 2nd Annual Foraging Sundays on Memorial Day Weekend, but our crazy life interfered, and so we had to put it off for a week. We almost decided not to start this last week, either, because we can really only count a half day, as we had breakfast with my daughter and her family.

In the end, we decided that we just needed to start so that we could get our minds around doing the project, and so, even with only counting it a half-day of foraging only, our Sunday evening meal was all foraged ... and all delicious.

We've been very blessed to have some amazing friends who are always willing to help us with our crazy ideas. As such, a friend gifted us wild-caught rainbow trout. Deus Ex Machina lightly seasoned the fish, put some pats of butter inside it, wrapped it in foil, and put it on the grill on the lowest setting. To accompany the fish, we had sautéed mushrooms and wild greens.

It was incredibly delicious, and our very adventurous Precious joined us. I've discovered that I really love rainbow trout, and that I'm incredibly thankful (and impressed) that Deus Ex Machina is a very good high-speed forager.

Rules for Foraging Sundays:
1. We can only eat what we can forage for the entire day.
2. Beverages (tea, coffee, alcohol) are exempted.
3. We have allowed use of cooking fats and spices.

If you're interested in joining us, please publish your meals (in the comments section here on my blog, on your own blog with a link in the comments, or on your FB page again with a link), and please let us know. You can use our rules or make up your own. You can even decide that it's not "foraging only" for you, but rather "foraging also", which is what we did the first year we decided to really try to focus on adding foraged foods to our diet. That year (which is detailed in our book, Browsing Nature's Aisles: a Year of Foraging for Wild Food in the Suburbs) our goal was, simply, to add a wild food/ingredient to one meal each week.

It's amazing how much food is out there - free for the taking - when one starts to look.

Happy foraging! We'd love to hear what you're eating.

2 comments:

  1. This is crazy:) I think I know you. I have 6 dogs. 4 German Shepherds, 1 basset and 1 Great Pyrenees, 4 cats, I also have 6 horses (3 rescue mini's) and 3 big draft horses. I have about 30 chickens and 18 chicks. 5 ducks and sorry to report only 2 Turkeys left out of 6 :( I am doing something wrong with the Turks. I live on a small farm in northern Ky. I love the farm/country life here and living off the land. I don't have much luck with gardens because the wild life likes my gardening skills better than I do. Nice Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tim ... Did you grow up in southeastern Kentucky? We might just know each other. Glad you found my blog. We should chat.

    ReplyDelete