Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Watch Out, Angels! I know Victoria's Secret



Yes, I have often purchased overpriced undergarments at Victoria's Secret.

It started several years ago when I was in the same room with two other homeschooling moms who were ignoring me and entered into a discussion about undergarments (not sure how the subject came up, but whatever). They started chatting, very enthusiastically and animatedly about a particular style they enjoyed from the above mentioned lingerie retailer. I'd never thought much about my underwear brand. I guess I just figured they were all uncomfortable, and it was just one of those things we had to endure if we planned to stay clothed. They spoke about how comfortable their panties were, and so, naturally, I wanted some, too.

Then, I assumed that, because it was a niche market, and VS specializes in the product, what I got from their store would be a higher quality and would last longer. What I'm finding is that it isn't true. The underclothes are comfortable enough, but it's incredibly disheartening to spent $5 on one single pair of panties that are unwearable in less than a year. Okay, I could understand if I only had one pair and it wore out after a year of use, but when I have multiple pairs, and they're still rags after only a few months, it's frustrating.

Last December, when I was making holiday gifts, one of those was to be new undergarments for Deus Ex Machina. I made a pattern and sewed them. They came out pretty awesome - although since flannel doesn't stretch in the same way that the fabric used in the boxer-briefs I used for the pattern does, they ended up a bit too small.

After throwing away, yet, another pair of my panties (sans the salvaged waistband elastic, which I reuse), I thought about those boxers, and I decided I could use the pattern to make some undergarments for myself.

In a true thumbing-my-nose-at-corporate-America, not only did I make a wearable undergarment, but I also reused a stretched out camisole from Victoria's Secret for the fabric. Ha! Take that ;).



I needed one and a half camisoles (I used one pink one and one white one - hence the two tone panties :)) for the final product, and I even reused elastic from the "shelf bra" for the waistband.



They fit, and they are comfortable, and I will make more pairs, when I find a material I want to use.

Forgive me if I don't post a picture of me wearing them. They are underwear, after all, and I'm no "Angel." :)

What are you recycling/reusing/repurposing today?

7 comments:

  1. Hi great idea I too am fed up with expensive underwear that gives up the ghost before it should. At the moment I am repurposing a very tatty old paperback into a christmas tree. It's so simple but fun. I found the tutorial on youtube. Normally I would never deface a book but not even a charity shop would accept this one and the decoration will be cherished for years to come - Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen those books with the pages glued and cut out to make a hiding place? I completely agree with you about defacing books, but I like the little hiding place books, and we even made one as a gift for someone one Christmas. I mean, if it's a book that's bad shape, why not repurpose it into something that can be used and enjoyed?

      Delete
  2. Oh, brilliant, brilliant. I have been quietly perusing you tube tutorials on this very subject, and have been saving old t-shirts for a while. I know I will be brave enough to do this eventually (probably when my old undies wear out..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear about your experience with making your own undies. I'm going to do some tweaking of my design, probably, in the future. It's just a matter of finding time to do it ;).

      Delete
  3. I've found a brand of undies that seems to last and last - Vanity Fair. And I even get them at a lower price in Kohl's which seems to always have a sale going on. I have some undies so long (Vanity Fair ones) that I actually get sick of them but there's nothing wrong with them so I keep wearing them. I just bought a few new pairs because I needed some light colored ones to wear under summer white pants/capris. They also were on sale. I wouldn't know how to start making my own. How do they look under your clothes? Are they fitted enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only worn them under skirts, and they are fine for that, but I think they'd be fine under any loose-fitting clothes.

      Delete
  4. That is sad, when you pay more but the quality stinks. Good for you recycling! I gave away some stuff today and sold some on eBay. Recycling rules!!!

    ReplyDelete