Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Food Security

Today turned out to be one of those days where events just connected, like pieces of a puzzle.

I spent some time this morning working on my plan for the community garden plot I'll be tending this summer. The plot was donated to the food pantry for us to grow fresh produce for our clients, and I was asked if I would be interested in managing it. It's an incredible honor and a very daunting task. I've always been a, kind of, haphazard gardener, and I'm just as likely to harvest 180 lbs of something from a volunteer plant as I am to actually harvest something I meant to grow. I can't leave things so much to chance when I'm gardening for someone else, and so, I'm a but nervous, but also excited. For the first time, ever, I'll have a row garden (as opposed to raised beds).

So, I've mapped out the garden, where I will put what, with special attention paid to what works well together.

At the garden meeting recently, there was a lot of discussion about planting for the bees, and sunflowers were one of the flowers recommended to attract pollinators. At first, I was considering trellising my beans on the sunflowers, but a bit more research proved that to be a very bad idea - as sunflowers and beans aren't very good companions. Cucumber and sunflower, however, are great companions, and so, I have the first few rows of the community garden planned.

When Big Little Sister and Little Fire Faery brought in the mail, among the flyers and credit card offers was a beautiful package from my friend out on the other coast (waves, enthusiastically!) who sent me a huge number of organic seeds.

I just can't thank you enough, M.H.*, for your incredible generosity. I'm humbled ... and so excited. It's so much more than I could have even hoped for. Thank you.





*I didn't know if you would be okay with my publishing your name, but I would be happy to do a link back if you're okay with it. Leave me a comment and let me know ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment