Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Seat of Knowledge

Many years ago, I received a call from the Director of my local library. I was a regular patron to our local library, because we homeschool, and also, just because I love the library.

Living in the kind of culture that we live in means that most of us pay taxes to a collective, and among the many amenities that are offered to us in the collective is a public library. There are so many amazing things that the library offers, and most of us, unless we are regular patrons, don't realize how vast the services are. It's not just books anymore. It's DVDs, CDs, and periodicals (did you know you could check out magazines? Yes. You can - and if the library doesn't have a subscription to the magazine you want, if you ask, they'd probably get it); Internet connection and computer access; printing; tax services; daily newspapers; ebooks; and just good company. I've long said that of all of the "services" to which I am entitled as a taxpayer, the one service that is available to all residents, regardless of age, race, or socioeconomic status, is the library. We can all enjoy the library.

I've been a huge supporter and patron to the library, and so when I received that call, asking if I would be interested in being on the Board of Trustees, I was honored. It was a big deal to be considered worthy of such a lofty position. At least it was an honor to me.

One of the key things we hoped to accomplish as Trustees was the expansion of our library. The original building was constructed back when our town was one-third of the size that it is today. My house wasn't even built back then. It was still three, separate vacation cabins, and the couple who would, eventually, become my neighbors, hadn't even purchased the home they've lived in for the last thirty-plus years.

It was an old building.

Today, I had the pleasure of visiting the new building in the Grand Reopening of my library. It's beautiful. And it was good to see my old friends again.

I live in a small town, but we don't have a general store. For those few of us who don't have children in school, there really is only one place to get information, and to find out what's happening in town ... and that's the library.

Hmmm ... there's some deja vu for you.

But I am thrilled that my town agreed to allow our library to expand, rather than doing what some other small communities in our country are doing. I'm so happy that my town's people said YES to our library.

It's a beautiful space - one that residents can be proud to say they made happen and visitors can enjoy.

Here's to the library! If civilization is going to collapse, let's hope we can hang onto our libraries ... at least for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister. As an elementary school librarian I know what wonderful resources we have here in Boise :)

    ReplyDelete