Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Night ... From the Larder

Deus Ex Machina gets home from work, and we start the, now, familiar dialogue.

Me: What do you want for dinner?

DEM: I don't know. What do you want for dinner?

We banter back and forth. Sometimes he'll say something like, "I asked you first", which means "I don't care what you cook as long as you make it soon, because I'm hungry."

So, we went on like that for a few minutes, and then, we started talking about what we have in the refrigerator, and we knew we had half a chicken leftover from last week, and that dinner would include chicken. The question was: stir-fry or soup.

We decided on stir-fry, because we're out of most of the things we'd ordinarily add to chicken soup (like potatoes), and we'd have to cook rice either way (for chicken and rice soup).

I diced the chicken and some onions, sliced a few small Jerusalem artichokes I took out of the garden the other day, and chopped up the dandelion greens Deus Ex Machina foraged for me. I'll stir in a couple of eggs (fresh from our chickens), add the rice, and sprinkle all of it with some Organic Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce).


Simple, quick ... and all from the larder.

Who says cooking has to be hard, or take a long time? In fact, while I'm typing this, the rice is cooking. How's that for multi-tasking?

1 comment:

  1. My favourite kind of meal! I think that learning to cook is not about following recipes, but learning about what goes well with what so that it is possible to cook with what you have. Sign of a true cook!!

    ReplyDelete