Saturday, March 28, 2015

Non-Traditional Prepping Items

I read this article recently on 33 Brilliant Non-Traditional Prepping Items.

Here's the list of items in the article (you'll have to go to the article for more of an explanation of each item and why the person stores it).

1. Marbles!
2. Sandbags.
3. Daughter’s blankets.
4. A whiteboard and markers.
5. Books on herb craft.
6. Dr. Bonners Castile soap.
7. Wind-up watches and a wind up alarm clock.
8. Journaling supplies.
9. A kindle or iPad for storing prepping info.
10. Fabric in several types (flannel, cotton, wool etc.).
11. Feed bags.
12. Plastic yogurt cups.
13. Treadle sewing machine.
14. Family history.
15. Collection of games and kite making materials.
16. My grandmother’s cookbooks.
17. Carving tools.
18. Essential oils kit.
19. Books on foraging and how to use herbs and essential oils.
20. Lasik eye surgery done.
21. I have printed almost every “from scratch” recipe I could find.
22. Fire extinguishers.
23. Free samples of diapers, incontinence products, saw blades – anything that I can get.
24. Although you should not store drinking water in old milk bottles, I store water in them to refill the toilet tank for at least 3 days-till other arrangements can be set up.
25. The WonderBag for cooking.
26. Board games & card games.
27. Crossword and word search puzzles.
28. Cloth diapers and accompanying accessories.
29. A French press for making coffee.
30. Walker/cane.
31. Distiller for water and making alcohol (for barter, of course!).
32. Travel books with lots of pictures. Also, a world map.
33. Theology books.

I'm not sure that I would have considered most of these "non-traditional", and in fact, books (numbers 5, 16, 19, and 33) are in my book as recommended prepping items; as are games and puzzles (numbers 15, 26, and 27).

Since I don't have babies, I hadn't thought about diapers, at least for myself, but what I have done is to keep old shirts that are either too torn or too stained for donating. I also have a pattern for making cloth diapers. So, I guess that's #10, #23 (in part), and #28.

If I were going to add a "unique" item that we store, it would be bottles, because we brew our own beers, wines, and Kombucha. I also keep jars and lids - but only the ones that are the same size as regular canning jars. That way, I have more jars for canning, and I can reuse the lids for all sorts of storage things.

Bottles and jars don't, really, seem like very creative or innovative things to store to me, and we probably don't have any super different things. We've collected a lot of non-electric items over the years, like our pencil sharpener (with dozens of unsharpened pencils and a few blank journals - #8), an old manual typewriter, a water-powered alarm clock and calculator (#7), a solar and dynamo powered phone charger, oil lamps, manual food mill/grinder, manual apple peeler, the French press mentioned above (x2 - #29), and an assortment of other tools and gadgets.

I guess if I have anything that might be considered kind of unusual, it would be the large store of beef fat and pork fat in my freezer that is waiting to be rendered so that I can make soap or ground into rabbit sausage.

My favorite item in the above list was #2. The sandbags were used to build a root cellar, which I thought was very creative, and I'm thinking it might be a really awesome project for under our wood shed.

Now, where to find the sandbags ....

What unusual/creative prepper item have you stored?

3 comments:

  1. Really, we just have most of these things in our house. Except theology books. I am going to have to run out and get some of them, just in case..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kindle or iPad for storing prepping info? You'd need power for that. Also Lasik- our doctor told us he'd veto that. He said your eyes are never designed to be reshaped, and you have to re-do every 10 years or so. My brother in aw is now in that boat. I'd stick with glasses (and extra pairs). I'd save any kind of buttons and sewing/repair items- zippers, threads, patches. Lots of books, and teas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking maybe the person who mentioned that item probably considers off-grid power a "regular" prep (?).

      Yes! Sewing supplies! During the Civil War blockades, people living in the south, behind the blockades, used all sorts of innovative things (like acorn caps) for buttons. They probably would have liked to have been able to stock up on those while they had a chance ;).

      Delete