Thursday, March 19, 2015

Improvisation

My daughter requested rolls for their trip this weekend, and I'm more than happy to comply. As I was forming the dough into little balls, I thought how nice it would be to brush the tops of each roll with butter before I baked them. Alas, my basting brush has long ago disappeared. I think it got melted two summers when it was used at the grill.

When I don't have the exact ingredients for something, I'm quick to substitute, and that's what I did today. I thought, "Hmm ... what can I use to brush butter on the tops of the rolls?"

I remembered we had this stack of coffee filters left over from something a long time ago, because we haven't had a coffee maker in more than eight years.

I folded it several times into a triangle.









Then, using my awesome kitchen shears, I cut slits up the rounded portion to make a "brush" ...



... which I dipped into the melted butter.



And brushed across the dough balls.


Et voila! Rolls for lunch and dinner.


Now to figure out something gluten-free for Deus Ex Machina, who may end up eating home-canned chicken and cheese all weekend :).

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. (Too bad you can't share the rolls too. LOL)

    And of course you know you gave me a chuckle over "et voila". ;)

    Or should that be it viola? heeheehee

    Hoping they have an amazing trip!!!

    ReplyDelete