Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hiding in Plain Sight

Happy New Year!

We had a great holiday season here at Chez Brown! Deus Ex Machina had two, glorious, restful weeks off from his job, and our new year dawned with a renewed resolve to live our authentic life. Changes set in place last year (which was actually a kind of tough year for us - spiritually, emotionally, and financially) will prove a positive outcome - at least, that's the outlook right now.

We made a few of the gifts we gave this season, and as usual, it was a blast planning and creating things for our family.

The most involved gift was the cloth checkers board/memory game. I'm told my grandson loves the checkers. I can't wait to play him.

The most fun, in a wacky kind of way, was the Jim Beam soap dispenser. We just took an old Jim Beam bottle and attached a soap dispenser nozzle on the top. I'm looking for a whiskey bottle for myself, now.

We made some oil lamps out of some glass bottles we collected over time.

I made a set of three pairs or pajama pants using an old flannel sheet.

My fashion-bug granddaughter received a skirt I made from a leftover animal print fabric I had.

For food gifts, we gave some of our homebrew, and combined with a jar of homemade pancake mix, we gave some of our 100% maple syrup.

I love being creative for gift-giving, but I realized that the only time I ever think about gifts is at Christmas time, and then, it's usually pretty close to the holiday before I start really thinking about things. This year, I'm resolving to be better, and in fact, I've already starting thinking about next year ... or perhaps, I'll start giving homemade on birthdays, too. Why should only Christmas be homemade?

I'm planning for next Christmas by saving links showing things (like this snowman made from mate-less socks) that I can make at home for very little money.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't even look twice at this kind of thing for a gift, but I do happen to know some people who collect snowmen, and so it would be appreciated. Personally, however, I'm not a fan of tchotchkes. Aside from the fact that I just don't dust, I also don't have room for such things. Shelves are for books or for storing my canned goods - not for displaying cutesy little ornaments, like snowmen.

That said, if one is into preparedness, there might be some wisdom in making room. In the video, the snowman is made from a mate-less sock. The sock is cut and then the openings are tied with a strong thread. It's filled with rice, and then, decorated.

When I was watching the video, my first thought was, "Oh, cute! And it could also be a hot/cold pack", because when I've made them in the past, I've added rice infused with lavender essential oil. We store them in the freezer and use them whenever one of my girls has a boo-boo. They can also be wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven (or on the woodstove if very carefully wrapped and then placed in a couple of bread pans raised above the very hot surface) and used as a hot pack. They're very useful things.

But then, I thought, if I made the snowman using beans I'd grown, they could be free - an idea, which I poo-poo'd almost immediately, as I eat those beans! They're food, not decorations.

Ah! And the clouds parted, and the sunlight illuminated the darkness below, and I had a sudden and beautiful epiphany!

In the story, The Good Earth, the protagonist loses his crop too many times to famine. Having grown up a peasant, however, he is wise to the need to secure what little they have, squirrel it away, if you will, and he hides a few beans in the walls of their mud hut. Like so many little scenes in the many books I've read in my four decades, that scene has stayed with me. A few beans is what kept them from starving. It's like Jack and the Bean Stalk - without the giant and the goose who laid the golden eggs.

I think about those things, and when I thought about the beans, and I thought about the prepper ideal of storing food, but the deep, deep fear that someone will come along and take it, as was depicted in the 2013 NatGeo special American Blackout, it seemed like having a few of those ornaments, stuffed with edible beans and rice, might actually be beneficial. If it doesn't look like food, the first raiders aren't going to take it, and once the second raiders have gone through, finding nothing left after the first raiders took every thing, word would spread that my house didn't have anything worth taking ... just a few ornaments and tchotchkes.

I've heard the saying before about hiding things in plain sight. Girls, dressed as boys, were saved from violence during wars. Hiding supplies in plain sight, or just making the best use of one's limited space by having dual purpose items, can be a very useful way to address the need to be prepared.

Here are 10 ways to store emergency supplies where everyone can see them, but no one will look:

1. Store bean and rice soup inside of a clear lamp. The variations in color and texture will make a nice conversation piece, and in a worst case scenario, you'll have a few meals.

2. Store potable water in pretty glass bottles set on high shelves. Colored bottles might not call too much attention, especially if they are on a shelf with other, similarly colored glass items. My friend has a whole collection of red glass objects: vases, bottles, plates, cups. If she put clean water in the bottles and corked them up, she could have an emergency water supply without taking away from the aesthetics of her gorgeously decorated kitchen or taking up storage space that could be used for something else.

3. Dried herbs in vases and/or hanging over doorways. We have a decorative soffit in our living room/dining room area, and I hang many vegetables and herbs to dry. To the uninitiated, it just looks ornamental, and I've even had my very décor-oriented gay neighbors compliment the French country look of the dried herbs and flowers. It was one of those *blink*, *blink* moments of confusion, for me, because it wasn't décor. It was me actually trying to preserve my harvest. Then, one autumn day, I was in the craft store, and I noticed the ornamental corn, which looked a lot like the field corn I had hanging from the ceiling in my dining room. It was another Aha! Moment.

4. Vases of dried flowers weighted with coins. At first glimpse the coins will just look like filler. If there are also shells or sea glass or colored beads, it won't look like a jar of money at all, but rather a cutesy little decoration. Gold dollars would add color and sparkle, and since most people don't ever deal with gold dollars (which look a lot like the game tokens one gets at the arcades these days), in a snatch and grab situation, those little ornamentals might not even get a second glance.

5. And speaking of hiding cash in plain sight, having a bowl or ornamental mug (like one of the German beer steins) filled from the bottom to halfway with real coins, and then topped with either obsolete foreign coins (like German pfennigs) or game tokens would keep those cash reserves safe from theft. In a rush, they aren't going to take the time to look at every coin.

6. No one is going to look in a kids' room for food or water, which would make it a great place for storing said items. When my oldest daughter was a youngster, she had this doll that was filled with water and it was supposed to make it feel like a real baby. Honest. It's a real thing, and I looked it up. They are still selling them! Like, isn't this the preppers dream toy? A doll that can contain real, drinkable water that looks nothing like stored water. Very cool! Beans, rice, corn, wheat berries, and sproutable seeds can all be stored inside of stuffed animals. Little Sally's teddy bear is not going to be the first place the hungry mob is going to be looking for food, either.

7. Houseplants. It's all about the presentation, isn't it? If it looks like a garden, neat, straight, weed-free rows of corn and beans or caged tomatoes, people will look at it like it's a garden and eat from it, but if it's a lettuce plant tucked between a few bushes, or a hardy, leafy plant growing in a pot near a sunny window, the average person might not see it as food. Depending on the pot, we could grow a whole array of food plants that just look like pretty houseplants.

8. Weapons. A lot of preppers make a big deal out of the need to store weapons and ammo. While I'm not arguing either for or against that idea, I'm not against weapons, and, in fact, we own a few. Deus Ex Machina, for instance, is a bow hunter, and so we have his compound bow, and my daughters have learned to handle a bow, as well. We also have knives (which are tools, not weapons) and my youngest was learning to use a sling shot. Disassembled, the sling shot doesn't look like much of anything to the untrained eye, but even if someone figured out what it is, without the shot, it's not really very useful. The shot is, essentially, little marbles made of either steel or glass. Either of those could definitely be stored, right in plain sight, in a clear vase or in the base of a lamp. In fact, with some creative tooling, the whole lamp could be the sling shot, disassembled. The sling shot attaches to a base and holds up the shade. The band is part of the shade, and the shot is in the glass base. Someone should craft that very cool lamp. It could be a money maker.

9. Tools. There are a lot of little gadgety things on the market - multi-use tools, which look cool. Attached to a wall, it might just look like art, but could be life-saving for opening cans and bottles, starting fires, turning screws sawing logs, etc. In the above mentioned NatGeo special, one couple returns to their 46th Floor penthouse apartment with a stolen can of peaches only to realize that they don't have a can opener. Both Deus Ex Machina and I carry a P-38, which used to be included in the military rations. It's a can opener, but oh, so much more. There are also tools like walking sticks (which can also be used as weapons with the right knowledge/training) and with a divot cut out to make it an apple harvesting stick. It doesn't look like an apple picker, but it can be. In a corner, leaned up against a wall, it looks like a stick, but in the right hands, it could be a very handy tool.

10. Books. There is a book for every topic. Many of the skills I've cultivated over the last decade have been learned through books. I started my food preservation by learning to make strawberry jam from the Back to Basics book, and now, I'm canning really complicated foods, like chicken and beans. Deus Ex Machina learned to brain tan hides using Tom Brown's book, Living with the Earth. We've learned to preserve food, plant a garden, butcher our animals, secure clean water, harvest wild plants, cook, knit, and many other skills through reading. And over the years we have built a huge library of incredibly invaluable resources. When the hungry hoards come to take our food, it will be a blow for us, because we've spent so much time canning and preserving and purchasing that food, but we have the knowledge and skill to get more. Our books are one of the best and most valuable of our prepping supplies ... and the best part is that no one will ever look twice at them as being something they'd want to take in a worst case scenario.

Well, and then, there's also the hollowed out book with all the valuables. Good luck finding that book in my enormous collection :).

Hiding in plain sight is also known as natural camouflage, and it works for many animals. It can work in our favor as preppers, too.

I know the rice-filled snowman will be on the Gifts from the Homestead list this year. I'll also be trying to incorporate more emergency supplies masquerading as décor. I wonder if my oldest daughter would like another Water Baby ... only, maybe, these days, she'd prefer it filled with wine ... or Tequila ;).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Wendy. There's some good ideas here. I would love to know how you make an oil lamp out of old bottles

    ReplyDelete