Saturday, December 20, 2014

Sleeping in Luxury

In his book, Field Guide to City and Suburban Survival, Tom Brown, Jr. talks about the many ways there are to stay warm inside of a building that is not heated. I think he might even mention using a tent inside a room.

I think it's a great idea. Would I do it? Absolutely!

We even have a small tent that is, roughly, the size of a double bed. In a worst case scenario, I might even pitch it over a box spring and set my mattress inside and leave it up all of the time.

The thing is, this isn't such a novel idea. People used to use bed curtains back before there was central heating. Bedrooms weren't heated, and people stayed warm by snuggling, by sleeping in small, curtained spaces, and by using thick quilts and comforters.

Since we started using our woodstove for heat, I've found that I sleep better in a cold room. Would I sleep in a tent if my house were cold? Yep.

But, then, maybe, I would redesign my sleeping area and put up some pretty curtains to surround my bed, because a tent would be cool, but waking up surrounded by luxury - even when the reason I have it is because money is tight - would be oh, so much more fun.



I could see having something like this in my bedroom. What about you?

9 comments:

  1. I have seen Scandinavian beds like that with cloth closed curtains, to keep the heat in....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!

      Melonie (next comment) posted a link to some Scandinavian beds. I love it!

      What really strikes me as extra cool is how fancy they look, and when you realize that this was the average bed (not something for wealthy people) it really reminds me that even people of limited means, with some creativity, can have beautiful things.

      Delete
    2. YES!!! I feel that way about Shaker furniture and homes too. *Useful* beauty.

      Delete
  2. My husband has mentioned many times how one of his sets of grandparents had a house that had pocket doors that could close off the living area from the bedrooms, to keep the area warmer with the wood stove if power went out. We planned to do the same thing with our TX house and have figured out how it could be done where we are now - while we don't have a wood stove in this house, we do have one of those indoor propane heaters and could easily block off the hallways, close the door to the laundry room and be good to go. We also recently acquired a tent and could do as you've described.

    As for beds - I must confess I've always been a smidge infatuated with the Scandinavian version: http://www.charlieroe.com/scandinavian/scandinavian-painted-bed.html

    I get to pull the curtains closed to stay warm AND the footprint includes the dresser drawers so less space is needed in the room? Yes. Please. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! This is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking at for a long time - both for us and for our girls. Storage + sleeping area = win!

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it!
      I've always liked them, but more so since we've been discussing colder areas for retirement. My husband is like a furnace, so I'm thinking between him and a dog, I'll stay nice and toasty in a "room within a room" like that. The only problem will be convincing myself to get OUT of bed when I'm actually warm. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yep, even without the extra curtained layer, once the fire dies down and the house starts to cool off, getting out from under the 2" thick layer of comforter can be very unappealing ;).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome! So glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete