Monday, December 22, 2014

It Did Happen!

There's a running joke in my family when someone makes a blunder that if there's no picture, it didn't happen.

I used to be very good about having a camera ready. I took it with me everywhere ... and I have the pictures to prove it. Back in those days, I would compile the pictures at the end of the year for our homeschool portfolio - which is very much like a yearbook one might get from school. It was a wonderful way to look back at the year and remember all of the awesome places we went and things we saw.

Then, we started using rechargeable batteries that had this way of always dying right when I was about to take the best picture. I think I missed a lot of moments.

So, when I see blogs of friends and virtual friends filled with the pictures of their lives, I'm a little envious, because, while I always seem to miss that perfect shot, we have so many of those same kinds of perfect moments. I just don't have any pictures to prove it.


Of our Solstice celebration, very few pictures were taken, but it did happen, and while we didn't record those memories in digital images, I hope that they are burned in our brains as a wonderful time of family togetherness ...

... Big Little Sister making dinner, which we ate (for the first time in a very long time) all together at the table (because our table has been covered with stuff since emptying the back room so that we could rebuild it - which is still happening).

... Decorating the Yule log with our thanks for the blessings of the year past and hopes for next year.

... Giving each other one special gift.

... Apples to Apples and Scrabble - and losing the games, but winning at spending quality time with my awesome family!

... Baking wish bread that ended up being breakfast, because by the time it was finished baking, half the family had gone to bed ;).

We had talked about staying up to greet the sun, but it didn't happen. Even on the Solstice, Deus Ex Machina prefers to adhere to the wisdom of Ben Franklin - early to bed ... and all that.

Sometimes, at least just for having something to share of our lives here on this blog, I wish that I were better at remembering to take pictures ...

... but then, if I always had my hands filled with a camera, I wouldn't be able to roll dough balls into wishes with Precious ... and she might enjoy the picture later, but I know she enjoyed making the wish bread now, and now is what matters ... now.

Wishing everyone a joyful abundance this Holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. Great times, and a beautiful yule log. I need to make one sometime....

    ReplyDelete