Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Little R&R

Working from home and homeschooling, I had hoped, would work more flexibility into our schedule, and sometimes, that's true. We have a few days of the week on which we don't, usually, have any scheduled activities, but there are days when we are very busy. The last three days of the week are usually packed with stuff.

Friday is our music, library, and volunteer day. We love all three activities - especially the library - and I don't think we've ever gone to the library and not come out with a bagful of books.

For the past two months, I've been busy with the assigned reading for the class I'm teaching. Yes, I've read all of the books I assigned, but I have to reread them or at least skim them, to make sure I remember some of the finer details - because the kids always ask about some obscure plot point, and I need to be able to discuss it. So, I haven't checked out any books for myself.

This past week, as my daughters scattered and ran looking for their literary treasures, I kind of meandered around, and then, I realized, "I can check out a book!" Suddenly, I was like a kid in a candy store, a fox in the henhouse ... a bibliophile in a bookstore with an unlimited credit card balance!

I made a beeline back to the 900s, where there are memoirs and biographies - real-life accounts of, well, life.

I love to read, and I usually have a book or two with a scrap of paper or a receipt marking the spot where I last lost myself in its depths.

The next two weeks, Deus Ex Machina is off from work and most of the girls' classes are on break until after the holidays. I'm hoping I will have some time to sit and just enjoy a little R&R ... Reading and relaxation :).

What's your favorite way to escape?

4 comments:

  1. My children have grown and gone but I have wonderful memories of hours in the library with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the library ... and it's even better, because the librarians know us. You should go on your own. The library still has plenty to offer ;).

      Delete
  2. OHHHH I love the library too. The "no credit limit" feeling you describe is just how I feel about it. :D

    I've developed a bad (for my back and my time) habit - our preferred library branch has a "Lucky Day" book program. The staff has begun sticking shamrock stickers on books they pull out to some new shelving by the front door, making it that book's "lucky day" for being chosen/checked out. I have to walk past it to get to the Holds stacks, which are (coincidentally) located at a back corner. So each day I've gone in to pick up the holds I dutifully placed from home, I still end up wandering the Lucky Day shelves, the holiday display, and the new book area. Next thing you know Manly and the kids have been waiting in the parking lot 15 minutes while I "just run in for a hold". LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I love the "lucky day" books, too. I've found some real gems.

      Delete