Monday, November 3, 2014

Firsts for 2014

My blog often serves as a kind of public journal (and, actually, that's exactly what it is, right? A web log), and so many times over the years, since I started this journal, both Deus Ex Machina and I will scour one or the other of our blogs for information like, when we tapped the maples, how the garden did, or when we had our first fire.

I won't remember this information, and so I put it here.

The "first" fire is usually the day that we fire up the woodstove for the season. We've had a couple of fires this fall, on days when the house was damp and chilly, like when we had several days in a row of sub-50° and rain. It wasn't cold enough to start filling up the wood box, though, and mostly we've been burning scraps, foraged wood, or getting rid of the plethora of junk mail or documents we no longer needed to keep, but that should not just be thrown in the garbage.

This year has been odd, though. Usually, we'll hold out starting our first fire until right around the first frost. It's usually right about then that we need the fire regularly, because once the temperature dips, it usually stays low, for the most part.

Our first below freezing night was just a few days ago, and it wasn't terribly low even then, but since it's been raining for a few days, we filled the wood box and started the woodstove, and it's been burning since. We'll probably keep it going until spring.

We had our first snow of the season on November 2.

It's supposed to get back up into the 50's next week, which is good ... because I still need to finish painting the trim on my house.

And then, Jack Frost can move in until March ... with no complaint from me.

1 comment:

  1. We fired our insert Saturday. Had a dusting of snow here, and it never got out of the 30s. But I warmed myself splitting the big pieces anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete