Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mixing Bowl

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about antiques. I like them when I see what someone else has. In homes where the people who are doing the buying know about such things, I admire their taste and knowledge, but I just don't really seem to be able to put those kinds of things together.

Mostly, it's because the stuff in my house has to have a purpose. I don't have a lot of room or time for chatzkies, and I also don't have the money to purchase things that will just sit and look pretty. Once I found this really cool, old fashioned-looking manual coffee grinder. It looks really quaint, and I bought it. It works, and we use it.

Occasionally, my daughters and I enjoy going to the indoor flea markets. There are a few of them in the area. Recently, I discovered a new one (a friend had gone there, and blogged about it), and so, as a surprise, I took my girls there. Our usual indoor flea market is like a huge yard sale. There's an occasional gem, but mostly, it's just stuff. This place was different. It's touted as an "antique" place, and I almost decided not to go inside, knowing that around antiques I would be totally out of my league.

I am glad that I didn't allow myself to not go in, though, because it was very neat, from all of the cool glassware (and there was a lot of that) to the old fashioned pay phone booth (complete with a light that turned on when one closed the door, and yes, it worked - local calls only). Precious found a stuffed bunny she really wanted. It's probably not an antique.

I decided that I wanted a mixing bowl. I bypassed several sets, because I don't need a set, I just needed one, but of a particular size, and I didn't want plastic (wood would have been nice, but the ones I found were prohibitively expensive, and I think, Deus Ex Machina could make me a wooden bowl, given the time). So, I kept looking.

Finally, I found one. A Pyrex brand, which means it has that ceramic feel and look, and it was stamped with a USA mark on the bottom, which means it wasn't made in China. Priced at under $15, I decided that it would do nicely.



I don't know if it's an antique. In fact, I almost hope not, because I'm going to use it. I bought a mixing bowl, because I needed a mixing bowl, and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I've always been intimidated by antiques, because often they're just so expensive, and I never know if I'm really getting something that's worth what I paying, but I guess, today, what I learned is that the value is in my own mind, and with most things, since I plan to use them, and not resell them, if it's a price I can afford and am willing to pay for something that I can use, it doesn't matter. Right?

There's another antique store that I've always looked at as I was passing by on the highway, but never had the nerve to go into. Now that I've cut my teeth, I think I can.

I wonder if my girls are up for another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment