Thursday, March 20, 2014

Gratitude for Eggs

With the increased sun, our chickens are starting to ramp up their egg laying. We have fourteen hens, at least half of whom are older than three years. They have been giving us an average of five eggs, per day, for the past several weeks.

Deus Ex Machina remarked the other day that we had no idea how much eggs at the grocery store are going for. We got our first three hens in 2006, and, for the most part, we haven't bought eggs since they turned our yard into a farm.


Please note that the "last week" number is actually three weeks ago. The intention was to erase the number and add up each week's totals, but the totals are transferred to Deus Ex Machina's spreadsheet, and I wanted to be sure he'd recorded the numbers before I erase them :).

The chicken's increase in egg production means spring is here, which means planting is right around the corner. I've already got a bit of a head start, and it's really, REALLY hard not to go whole hog (and probably lose most of it, because I got too eager).

That said, while I didn't (officially) join Jenna's Snap Pea Challenge, I'll be putting some peas in a pot in my sunny bedroom window. I'm looking forward to some fresh, green pea shoots ... and maybe I'll try out her sandwich recipe - only with pea shoots instead of spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment