Monday, December 9, 2013

Sneak Preview - Handmade for the Holidays

Here's one of the gifts we're giving this year.


I've made rice packs before. It was a lot of fun, and what a great gift! We use ours for all sorts of things. In fact, any time there's an injury, the first thing we ask is, "Do you need a cold thing?", and by cold thing we mean, one of the rice packs we keep in the freezer. We have a whole assortment of them, from a tiny one shaped like a mitten and the exact size of my daughter's hand when she was ten - because it was made especially for her, to ones that go around shoulders.

We keep ours cold, in the freezer, but they can also be warmed. As discussed in this blog post from last summer a rice pack is a good thing for helping us stay cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather.

My youngest daughter's favorite rice pack is her "boo-boo buddy", and it has a teddy bear face. We keep it in the freezer too. It's not one I made, but one we purchased from the physical therapist. When I got to looking at it, I thought, "I can do that."

This year, I'm making Boo-boo Buddies for my grandchildren. We found some Ty Stuffies at a thrift store. They were half off their usual $1 price tag. We took out the insides and replaced them with rice that was infused with lavender essential oil and mixed with lavender flowers. The nice thing about lavender is that it's calming, which will make these boo-boo buddies great for soothing aches.

It's not, exactly, a gift we made from things we grew or produced here, but it is one of those wonderful repurposed ideas that I adore. And it was easy and inexpensive ... and I think makes a pretty keen gift.

6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! My son would love something like this. Thank you for the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably use other essential oils, and I've heard of people using different filling, too. Barley is one, I guess some folks use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a suggestion for heating rice packs without a microwave?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Because I don't have a microwave, and so when I need to heat them, I wrap them really well with foil and put them in the oven at 350°, but 1. Keep a VERY close eye on them. They only need to heat for just a few minutes; and 2. make sure that all of the cloth is completely covered or else it might scorch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea :) I will have to try making some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I've only made the rice bags in plain old rectangular shapes and have only ever heated them. It's good to know they work cold too. I think my boys will be getting a boo-boo buddy this year; I'm sure that will be much more fun than a bag of frozen corn :)

    ReplyDelete