Friday, December 6, 2013

Loss

The Internet is a pretty amazing thing. I know it will seem very superficial, but I think a lot of us bloggers will be able to relate. I've met a lot of people here, on the Internet - through my blog and through Facebook, and in a lot of ways, I feel like we are friends. I feel like we've made connections.

There have been a lot of times, when the contact extended beyond the blog or beyond posts on Facebook. We private messaged each other. We sent little gifts to each other. We connected and communed. When things were good, we shared our successes. When things were bad, we supported each other.

But we never met in person.

What we knew of the physical person were the pictures that we shared.

I'm reeling today from the loss of one of those Internet friends. She was an amazing woman - struggling to give her children an exceptional life in circumstances that were less than ideal. She had been dealt a pretty lousy hand in life, but she was trying to make the best of it, and I had a lot of respect for her.

What really enamored me to her was her very strong desire to be self-sufficient, and even in very less than ideal conditions, she worked very hard to teach her children that they can grow food, that they don't have to settle for less than what they want or need. Like I said, she was pretty amazing, and so strong.

She was killed yesterday, and I'm just stunned. She was too young, and she had so much left to offer. When we talk about tragedies, this fits the definition.

If you knew Chris, or followed her blog Adventures of a Thrifty Mom, then you've probably heard already.


At the moment, any little petty complaint or inconvenience seems very trivial.

If you knew Chris or knew of her, a Memorial Fund has been set-up for her three surviving children.

No comments:

Post a Comment