Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Gratitude - Day 26

Fellow blogger at Wandering Quail Road posted a link to a program through Meyer Hatchery.

They call it the Meyer Meal Maker, and basically, they will give each person who orders chicks, either for meat or for eggs, an extra chick for free, if that person agrees to raise the chick and donate the products to a local family or charity.

I think it's a pretty awesome idea. Like the hatchery says, image if all chicken-keepers kept one extra meat bird and one extra layer. One meat bird is three to four meals for my family (and could be more if I really got creative), and a dozen eggs can be stretched into a pretty impressive number of meals, also. With some milk, vegetables and cheese, a dozen eggs could be four quiches. That's four, easy, nutritious meals.

Even better, one of my favorite meals when I was a poor college student with not a lot of time, was microwaved egg scramble. Basically, I scrambled an egg in a bowl and microwaved it, stopping every few seconds to stir the egg. Easy. Fast. For those with limited cooking facilities (which often include a microwave, but little else), eggs are a great choice - inexpensive, easy to store (will keep at room temperature for up to three weeks), and incredibly nutritious.

I have a couple of extra laying hens we raised this year, and I'm thinking, I might know a family who might like to have a dozen eggs from my backyard flock each month.

I'm thankful for programs like this, that give the power to make positive change back to the grassroots level. Neighbor helping neighbor is the way we were meant to live.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link back. :)

    I love their idea with this. We had more than enough eggs coming in and while some of the folks at my husband's shop paid for them, we always gave more than the dozen they asked for. I also gave quite a few to a friend whose husband ETS'd over a year ago and was still looking for work. It was really great to be able to help them cut that part out of their grocery bill, as their family is a bit larger and they use a lot of eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good meal with eggs is steamed egg. Beat 2-3 eggs in a flat-ish bowl with a splash of soy sauce and a pinch of salt and sugar. Stir in 3/4 pint of water and then steam in a wok for about 15 mins on a medium heat. It comes out as a smooth soft custard-like consistencey. Sprinkle over some spring onion and another dash of soy. Serve with rice and some stir-fried veg. Delicious and very cheap to make.

    ReplyDelete