Friday, September 6, 2013
Mexican-inspired Homestead Meal
1 farm fresh egg
half sun-ripened tomato cut into small chunks
half small hot pepper diced small
1/3 c spicy beans*
a handful of tortilla chips
dollop of plain yogurt
1. Warm beans.
2. Put tortilla chips on plate.
3. Spoon warm beans over tortilla chips.
4. Sprinkle grated cheese over beans.
5. Fry egg until the whites are cooked but the yolk is still "runny."
6. Place egg on top of cheese.
7. Top with tomato, pepper and yogurt.
**Any kind of dried bean will do. I prefer red or black beans, and I usually use red kidney beans. For same day use, put beans in a pot, rinse and then cover with cold water. Bring beans to a roiling boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook - covered - until beans are soft. Be sure to keep an eye on the beans and add water if it gets to low (or the beans will burn, and there's nothing worse than burned beans). When beans are soft, season to taste. I use salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cilantro. Cook until the bean water is thickened.