Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fast Food

I think the best thing about canning is the convenience. Oh, I don't mean that the actually process of canning is all that convenient. It's not. It's time-consuming drudgery.

But months from now, when we need something quick to eat, those jars of stuff that I took the time to prep and save will be what we eat. It will be fast, and easy, and hopefully delicious.

One of my girls' favorite canned treats is this canned pumpkin bread I've been making for years. Our local farm stand has pumpkins, and so I picked up a few the other day.



Making the bread is a several step process. It's not quick or easy, but broken down it also doesn't have to be difficult. I use fresh pumpkin, which I cut in half and bake until its soft. Then, I scoop out the cooked pumpkin and add it to the batter.

I baked the pumpkins earlier today.

And tonight, I made pumpkin bread. I love the convenience, also, of baking it right in the jars in which it will be sealed.

It just came out of the oven and smells wonderful. The best part is ... ah! there's that sound. That ping that tells me that the jars are sealing, and the bread is locked safely in the jar until we're ready to break the seal and enjoy it.



If history is our greatest teacher, those jars won't be on the shelf very long, and in fact, I plan to take at least a few of them on our trip to the Mother Earth News Fair this coming weekend as our travel food.

When we get back, though, I have another pumpkin to bake.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to have a supply of these in the back of my cabinet for hurried mornings or road trips. Sounds like a perfect idea for little gifts, too. Thank you for sharing this idea....I'll be finding a pumpkin (or two) this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you'll share your recipe, or the source for it? It sounds wonderful, but I'm coming up empty on an internet search for canned pumpkin bread. . . Not that I mind baking it fresh, but canning some sounds like a really really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pumpkin bread sounds wonderful. Could you share the recipe or where to find it. I'm sure alot of your readers would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lynn - If you click on the picture with the pumpkin and the book, you should be able to see the recipe.

    Let me know if you have trouble seeing it, and I can try to make it bigger.

    This recipe for banana bread is very similar, though. It was on this page on Facebook:


    Canned Banana Bread

    Makes one dozen 250 ml jars)

    Ingredients:
    2/3 cup shortening
    2 2/3 cups white sugar
    4 eggs
    2 cups mashed bananas
    2/3 cup water
    3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of a dozen 250ml canning jars.

    In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mash bananas--Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.

    Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Add nuts and stir them in with spoon. Insert canning funnel into mouth of jar and pour mixture into greased jars, filling half full.

    Place jars directly on rack in oven (*I put mine on a cookie sheet).

    Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.

    Bake for 45 minutes. Don’t worry if a few rise over the top of the jar. You can press it down with the lid.

    While jars are still warm, add lids. Screw on tightly.

    ReplyDelete