Thursday, June 20, 2013

Preparing for Winter is a Year-Round Chore

I may not get much corn ... or beans. The chickens are in their yard, but a couple of them fly over the too-low fence - the lighter, smaller ones, like the Easter-egger that gets picked on by the rest of the flock, and Missy, the chicken-that-lived-with-the-turkeys last fall (we thought she'd been taken, but found her three weeks later happily foraging and living down the road in the woods with the turkeys - no lie!). Anyway, they like digging in the beds, and they keep up-rooting the corn.

It's kind of a bummer, too, because this year was a grand experiment of growing different beans from dried beans purchased at the grocery store. I have no idea what kinds of beans (it was a soup mix packet) they are or how they grow (vining or bush-type), but I was excited to find out. Now, I don't even know if I'll get any. Rotten chickens!

Actually, this isn't an unusual event. Any plants that end up in the back yard garden are potential victims of my chickens. I know this, and so I tend to over plant the beds. This year, though, the chickens just seem a little more ... aggressive (?) ... in my garden beds than in the past.

I'll replant some corn and bean seeds - in the flats in the greenhouse, where they'll be protected until they can get big enough that, maybe, the chickens won't completely destroy them.

In the meantime, I keep trying to replant the little plants the chickens haven't completely destroyed, and wait, patiently, until August, when we'll know, for certain, whether our winter table will have corn and beans ... or chicken ;).

3 comments:

  1. My silly hubby let my chickens out and didn't stick around to watch them, yes you guessed it! Straight into the veggie garden. He won't be doing that again in a hurry.
    See we women have these rules for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy - I had the same problem...with chickens getting over the fence. I did make the fence higher, but I also clipped their wings. I am not sure if you would want to do it to your hens, but it doesn't hurt them at all and literally takes two minutes per chicken. I followed a you tube video!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had to put up short, chicken wire/rabbitt fencing around my tomatoes, etc., or the hens unearth them all. Doesn't look too bad.

    ReplyDelete