Thursday, June 13, 2013

DIY Gowns

Buying dresses would have been easier, certainly. We looked at five different stores (both second-hand and new retail), for what seemed like hours. The problem is that we had to have three dresses for three vastly different-sized girls and all of them needed to be that "poofy", Southern-belle-esque style ... and they had to be the same color.

Yeah.

In the end, we decided to head over to the fabric store, where we bought six yards of a satin fabric (on sale, because it's graduation and prom season ;)) and an equal amount of tulle-type fabrics.

I worked from a skirt pattern - using the same one for all three skirts and made adjustments for their differing sizes.

They're each a little different in style, and the tulle I used is different for each skirt. The youngest has a dress. They aren't professional quality, but they're good enough for a costume the girls will wear on stage for two nights in a waltz with their father.

There are some little things that I would have changed if I had more time or more knowledge, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

My girls are going to be beautiful up on stage, dancing with their daddy. I might even need a box of tissues ;).






The lesson here is to not be afraid. The dresses aren't perfect, but they're at least as good as (better if you consider that they are much closer to what we wanted) anything we found in the stores.

I may not have the opportunity to be up on stage with my family while they're dancing, but I can, at least, be present with them in the dresses I made.

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Those look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful! (The gowns and the girls ;)
    Isn't it great to know that you made what they wanted, rather than settle on an off-the-rack dress that wasn't right? And that you've given them a valuable lesson - that by being creative, they don't have to buy what everyone else is buying?
    They'll have a great evening! Kudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! The skirts--and the girls of course--are beautiful!
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! I always preferred my Mom to make any of my clothes when I was young. They were always nicer and more stylish than anything in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the quality of some of the things you buy at the stores, they cannot be as bad as that. Well done you, the girls look fabulous

    ReplyDelete