In the end, we decided to head over to the fabric store, where we bought six yards of a satin fabric (on sale, because it's graduation and prom season ;)) and an equal amount of tulle-type fabrics.
I worked from a skirt pattern - using the same one for all three skirts and made adjustments for their differing sizes.
They're each a little different in style, and the tulle I used is different for each skirt. The youngest has a dress. They aren't professional quality, but they're good enough for a costume the girls will wear on stage for two nights in a waltz with their father.
There are some little things that I would have changed if I had more time or more knowledge, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
My girls are going to be beautiful up on stage, dancing with their daddy. I might even need
The lesson here is to not be afraid. The dresses aren't perfect, but they're at least as good as (better if you consider that they are much closer to what we wanted) anything we found in the stores.
I may not have the opportunity to be up on stage with my family while they're dancing, but I can, at least, be present with them in the dresses I made.