Thursday, May 23, 2013

He's a Mighty Man

When I crawled into bed last night and curled my body around the heater ... I mean, my warm, snuggly husband ... I whispered, "Happy anniversary." He's not (usually) the demonstrative type. Every day is special, as far as he's concerned, and so there are no special days. That's not to say that he doesn't enjoy celebrating, but the idea that one day holds more value, to him, is like saying that the chickens are more valuable than the bees or the trees are more valuable than the flowers. They are all equally wonderful and necessary, and we don't have to sing an ode to the trees to make them more so.

I whispered my bon mot believing that he would be getting up in a few hours and heading to work. It would be our anniversary, but the only difference between this day and every other day would be what was said ... those two words ... and a cake, if I baked it.

So, when he returned the well-wish and asked me if I wanted to go to breakfast in the morning, I was confused. He explained that he had taken the day off ;). He never takes days off, unless it's something really important - like the Mother Earth News Fair. As far as I remember, he's never taken off for our anniversary ... or his birthday.

I teared up a little and kissed his back and thanked him for that gift. He was going to be with me, and even if it was just a simple breakfast at the diner where we ate our first meal as husband and wife eighteen years ago, it was more than I could have expected.

In addition to planning breakfast, while I slept-in, he gave me an amazing gift in this blog post.

I love the analogy he makes about how our culture views everything from paper towels to our individual relationships with one another. It's true. We live in a disposable society, and there are people out there who care more about a pair of shoes than they do a partner. It's just too easy to replace the old and rundown with the shiny and new, and it seems that everything in our society encourages it.

Over the years, Deus Ex Machina and I have learned the value of valuing what we have, which has made us stronger as a partnership, and I am so fortunate that he has been willing to put up with me all of these years. It's been amazing, and as he said, I, too, am looking forward to the next eighteen - come what may. If the last eighteen are any indication of what's to come, it will be filled with a lot more good than not.

Happy anniversary, Deus Ex Machina! I love you.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite blog post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, may you have many many more.
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to a beautiful couple, and wishing you many more wondrous years together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary. I watched another relationship end this week-- not because they wanted the newer model, but because of much deeper reasons-- but it still made me incredibly thankful for what I have. I am glad that you have it, too.

    ReplyDelete