Sunday, May 26, 2013

Gardening ... in Maine

Since I moved to Maine, I have always been cautioned to wait to plant my garden until Memorial Day weekend. With some things I wholeheartedly agree. Tender plants, like tomatoes and peppers, might not do as well if the weather takes a turn, but some things do just fine in our cooler temps. Peas, for instance - which, incidentally, were direct sowed in my garden beds weeks ago.

It is Memorial Day weekend, and it kind of snuck up on me when I wasn't paying attention. We have so many things happening in the next couple of weeks - things that are requiring a great deal of my time, thought, and energy (good things!), and so I haven't really been thinking as much as I should about the garden. The corn needed to be planted (per the Native wisdom that says corn should be planted when the oak leaves get to be the size of a squirrels hind foot) two weeks ago. The potatoes were ready to go in the ground last week.

I decided to do it today. I needed to do it today.

So, the garden is in.

And once it starts to grow, it won't look this neat and tidy until next Memorial Day :).

Happy Memorial Day! Do something that means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment