Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blowing My Own Horn?

The ukulele wasn't my first instrument. Back when I was in junior high, I joined the band. My older sister was also a member of the band, and she played clarinet. I wanted to play the flute, but at my school, we all had to purchase our own instruments - except for those students who chose really big instruments, like the kettle drum. Unfortunately, my parents couldn't afford to purchase a flute for me, and because my older sister had two instruments, I opted to also play the clarinet, and she gave me one of hers.

I kept my clarinet with me through all of the years and all of my moves. Unfortunately, it wasn't always stored very well, and while I've taken it in one other time to have some pads and corks replaced, I hadn't done much in the way of taking care of it. Over the years, it deteriorated to the point that it was no longer playable.

We decided to have my clarinet repaired, and there's just nothing quite like the muscle memory returning as I play the chromatic scale.

Like riding a bicycle ....



And we bought a new case, too, as the old one was mildewed.

I'm very excited and looking forward to some band time with my family.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to pull those back out? I did play the flute and piccolo in school (through college) but it's been gathering dust for the past 15 or so years. Now my 6 year old has started playing the violin, and has asked for "duets". Very fun to see how quickly it comes back, and to share music in the family. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did the same thing about a month ago!!!

    Having a hoot playing the old music (badly I'm sure) and printing new stuff off the net (who knows how I'm playing that, dont know what its supposed to sound like!)

    I'm even dreaming about getting a sax...

    Jen C

    ReplyDelete