Monday, April 22, 2013

Many Mini German Pancakes



Deus Ex Machina tagged me on Facebook this morning with a recipe for Mini German Pancakes. German pancakes are a favorite food around here. Heck, who am I kidding? Pancakes, regardless of the nationality, are a favorite food, but what's nice about German pancakes is they can be dressed up with apples (and usually are) and they're cooked in the oven ... although I've used the thin batter to make crepes, too (Ha! French-style German pancakes).

The other great thing is that the batter is mostly egg, which is awesome right now with how generous our chickens are being.

A basic ingredients for German pancakes is:

1 c flour
6 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c butter (melted)

The recipe I used for the mini pancakes also had orange zest, which I omitted.

The instructions were to mix the ingredients (everything but the melted butter first, beating until smooth, and then add the butter while stirring the batter, fill greased muffin cups to about half-full, and bake for 15 minutes (or until the pancakes are puffy and golden brown) in a 400° oven.

Big Little Sister likes them with strawberry jam. I liked mine with foraged-blackberry jam and a drizzle of maple syrup, but I'm thinking, I could use this same principle to make tiny quiches. I could even use the same batter (maybe omitting the vanilla) and top it with taco meat and cheese for a savory meal.

We're planning to make flour from our Jerusalem artichoke harvest. I'm excited to see how Mini German pancakes taste using Jerusalem artichoke flour ... or maybe acorn flour.

The possibilities are exciting!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm yum, these sound good. I'll tab this recipe and soon use it. About this Jerusalem artichoke flour, I'd like to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for the recipe. It was a big hit and now a permanent edition to my collection.

    ReplyDelete