Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Things to do with Leftovers

Part of our Thanksgiving Harvest Dinner was Indian Corn Pudding that we made with corn we'd grown here on our nanofarm.

Whether fortunate or un- there was a bit of it leftover after dinner was done, and it went into the refrigerator, where too often, in our culture (or maybe, just my house), things go to get green and fuzzy. It really bothers me when I waste food, though, and so I do try very hard to keep the mold-growing experiments in my kitchen to a minimum. Over the past year or so, Deus Ex Machina has been taking most of our leftovers for his lunch at work, but some things that get leftover aren't as easily transformed into lunch as others.

After a week in the fridge, the pudding needed to be eaten by us or fed to the chickens, and so I decided to try to incorporate it into dinner. What I did was to slice it into strips, oven-fry it in almond oil (which is sweet), and then put it in a baggie with some powdered sugar.

The final result tasted a little like French Toast sticks - like the ones in the grocery store freezer section. For all my criticisms of the industrial food manufacturers, one does have to admire how well they've learned to flavor food-stuff so that even the pickiest of kids will eat that-which-should-not-be-eaten. If my "corn pudding fritters" are any indication, however, I may have stumbled upon the secret myself. Mine were a bit chewier, because of the corn, but very tasty, and there were no leftovers this time.

And I'm just thrilled that I was able to use something from the fridge before it grew fuzz.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for not wasting leftovers!! Like you, sometimes things just get lost in the fridge, or maybe meal plans don't turn out the way you expected and the menu changes. We had a big bag of french rolls I was looking forward to eating for dinner, but it kept getting bumped off for something different/easier/something-to-eat-on-the-go! By the time I finally made a meal for them, they were moldy. Sigh.. lucky chickens!

    ReplyDelete