Thursday, December 13, 2012

Low Energy Soup

I made Jaeger Schnitzel (rather my interpretation of the recipe :)). The recipe called for pork cutlets. I had pork chops, which have a bone. True to the way I normally do things, I substituted the chops for cutlets, but to do so, I had to cut the bone out, which actually worked out pretty well in the end (because it gave me several small pieces of schnitzel, which were more appealing to my daughters, who had never had Jaeger Schnitzel, and only wanted a bit ... to try).

The problem is that I'm not very good at deboning meat, and so I had all of these bones with bits of raw meat on them. I do not feed raw pork to my dog, and I never give him cooked pork or chicken bones. I hated to just throw away the bones with all of that meat still on them.

My solution was to boil the bones, but not just that. I also decided that I would make a bean soup - the idea in my head was a kind of a Wendy-ized pork-n-beans.

So, I put a kettle filled with the bones and beans, and topped off with water on the back of the woodstove ... and I went to bed.

The beans slow-cooked all night. In the morning, I pulled out the bones and pork fat, tested the beans for doneness, and added some seasoning (wine vinegar, salt, garlic, cumin, and chili powder), and left the pot on the back of the woodstove, simmering, all day.

Then, I added cooked rice. The result is a rich, hearty bean and rice soup with bits of pork meat ... and it is delicious.

I can't wait until dinner.

And have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE cooking on my woodstove - even when I could cook on the electric stove in the kitchen ;).

1 comment:

  1. Dry the bones and then burn them in your wood stove. The ashes, when spread on your garden, will supply a little calcium.

    ReplyDelete