Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gratitude: Day 8

True to the forecast, we had snow last night. The predicted Nor'easter materialized. We were put on alert and told to expect 1" to 3" of snow along the coast (more inland) and high winds. This afternoon it's supposed to turn over to a rain/sleet mix, possibly causing the formation of ice on trees and power lines.

With the heavy snow, strong winds, and potential ice cover, the likelihood of power outages is pretty high. So far, I haven't seen any reports of such, but it's still early in the day.

I'm not worried. Just like with Storm Sandy, we're as prepared as we can be, and given that a Nor'easter is a pretty common force of nature in these parts, my guess is that most people aren't really worried. At least there seems to be none of the subtle agitation that usually accompanies predictions of severe weather. I haven't been to any stores, but unlike the weekend prior to Sandy, this weekend at the grocery store was quiet - and they've been predicting this storm since last week.

I'm thankful that five years ago, Deus Ex Machina and I started transitioning to heating our house with wood. I'm thankful that four years ago we replaced our old, tiny, inefficient woodstove with a new model that heats our whole house. I'm thankful for all of the free wood we're able to collect and are given. It's knowing that we're not dependent on electricity for heating and cooking that gives me peace of mind at times like this, and I am eternally grateful to know that we'll be warm and cozy even as the storm rages outside.

I hope those south of us didn't get hit, especially those who are still trying to recover from Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment