Monday, November 12, 2012

Gratitude: Day 12

Today is the first day in I don't know how long that I'm having morning "coffee" instead of my usual cups of tea. It's nice ... different.

And I am thankful for all of those people, teachers, who piqued my curiosity enough to get me interested in not just learning about stuff like wild foraging, but willing to make it part of my life.

I'm incredibly thankful for the back-to-the-landers, who were willing (even if just for a little while) to buck the system and live differently, even as the rest of the US was engaging in the consumerism-orgy that's landed us where we are today. Without their example, I wouldn't be where I am today, and I wouldn't be able to consider living differently in suburbia.

My life is definitely better than it was, definitely better than it would be, if we hadn't started making changes, and I think I'm better.

So here's to the Dolly Freeds, the Nearings, the Gaskins, the Krochmals, and those writers and editors of Mother Earth News and magazines/publications like it. I raise my cuppa wild foraged roasted dandelion root coffee (sweetened with a tiny bit of raw sugar and lightened with a splash of raw milk) to you! I am thankful that you all were fearless and curious and energized enough to be the change.

Let's build a better world ... one quarter acre suburban lot at a time.

1 comment: