Friday, October 26, 2012

Here Comes the Rain ... Do, Do, Do, Do ...


New England is expecting a storm. From reports, it's going to be pretty big, too. The gist is that a hurricane (named Sandy) is making it's way up the eastern coast of the US. As it gets closer to New England, it will meet up with a cold front, and the two of them will have a big, noisy, windy, wet party.

To make matters worse for people along the coast is that the full moon - with its higher than average tides - is on the same day as the storm is predicted to hit, which means that the storm tide will be pushed higher still by the moon's influence.

Whoo boy! It's going to be one heck of a ride.

The last time this sort of storm came close to Maine, I was still several years away from making it my home, but after I settled here, circumstances led to me learning a great deal about that event.

In particular, the high water - not the tide, mind you, but the heavy rains - caused some significant flooding. All of the roads going north, including the Interstate, were blocked for several days. I imagine that hampered any clean-up or efforts to restore utilities.

If recent past is any indicator, it will be a lot of bang, but not much sparkle, which means that the media will work us all into a frenzy, the local stores will sell out of the kinds of stuff people normally buy in advance of a big storm, and then, we'll get a little rain (or snow, depending on which part of the state we call home) and go on to our next adventure.

But if predictions are correct, this time, it will be, as I said, one heck of a ride.

There's this propensity to be in one of two camps.

The "OMIGOD! A STORM IS COMING! STOCK-UP ON TOILET PAPER AND BOTTLED WATER!!!"

And the, "Storm? Maybe I'll get the day off from work."

I imagine people who are more accustomed to this sort of event (and the too often, all-bark-and-no-bite scenarios) know what I mean. On the one hand, there's this fear-fueled temptation to rush out and buy a bunch of stuff, because it could be Katrina, this time. But then, there's this more logical, rational voice (the one that holds the checkbook), who says that it will be nothing - a little rain, a little wind. No big deal, because in spite of the horror of the Katrinas, that sort of storm is not the norm.

The problem is the not knowing if this will be like last years' Irene, or if it will be something more severe, like 1991's Perfect Storm, and without knowing, it's hard to know what to do.

Which is why I have always tried to take the different approach - that of being perpetually prepared.

We always have water on hand and ways to purify it. We always have food. We have candles and kerosene lamps for lighting (and plenty of matches). We have the bike generator for some small electricity generation. Since it's October, and we heat with wood, we're set for heating and cooking.

I don't know what, if anything else, we'll do, except ... we'll probably pick-up a few AAA batteries, because Little Fire Faery found a keen iPod speaker/radio at Goodwill the other day. It uses either AC or DC power.

Today, we picked up several audiobooks while we were at the library. We'll load those books onto the girls' iTunes accounts, dump them onto their iPods, and if we lose power, we'll have these books to listen to ... if we get bored and it's too dark to play games or read.

And maybe I'll pick-up a new Brita filter ... my old one needs to be replaced anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I find the two camps seem to be divided into "OMG I have made no preparations for this storm let me panic!" and "Oh, I already have most of that stuff stocked, let me charge my phone and buy some milk and I'll be set." Lol. Luckily, I'm in the latter camp, although our supply of firewood is perilously low for facing a week of power outages.

    ReplyDelete