Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And the Earth Shook

There was an earthquake in Maine at around 7:00 PM on October 16, 2012.

Facebook lit up with comments about the earthquake, and I swear, not more than twenty minutes after the rumbling stopped (at first, I thought it was a thunderstorm, and then, I thought the kids were running through my office, which has a bouncy floor and everything jiggles when people run across the floor), there was a FaceBook page "I survived the 10/16/12 earthquake".

It was 4.5 on the richter scale, and the epicenter was about ten miles from where I live.

It was a non-event, compared to what happens in earthquakes that get international attention.

There was a bit of shaking, followed by ... nothing.

One of my friends joked on facebook (and this is a real life friend, too) that she was a bad prepper, because she didn't go out and stock up on milk and toilet paper, and she's joking, and it's funny, but this was a good reminder, that sometimes things do happen, over which we have no control and for which we can not prepare. We can predict hurricanes and tornadoes and other natural disasters, but no one knew - a least I hadn't even an inkling - that an earthquake, rated at 4.5 on the richter scale - was going to hit Maine this evening.

It was a non-event.

This time.

But it feels to me, that being somewhat prepared, at very least believing that in an extreme emergency one has the ability to be like the floor in my office - bouncy ... i.e. resilient - is a good feeling.

It's empowering, for me, to know that I have plenty of food, I have water, I have all of the supplies I need for a long time ... if there is an emergency.

For me, that's what prepping means - knowing that, no matter what, we're okay.

And there is no greater feeling.

3 comments:

  1. That *is* a good feeling ... and I'm working on that. I was away from the computer enjoying dinner with hubby & a few recorded sitcoms so I had no clue. That is, until I came back in the computer room & scanned FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming of course you're not buried in rubble and can get to said supplies! Or if you're lucky enough to be near your supplies when the earthquake hits of course. I'll take an earthquake any day over a tornado. That's my weird irrational fear of tornados manifesting. But earthquakes down here in the Lower 48 where y'all are no where NEAR prepared for them (structurally) (with the exception of say CA) scares the bejeezus out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so strange! We didn't feel it here, but people down the street did. I contribute that to my 2 and 4 year old playing tag while the earthquake was happening...so not much different than everyday for me!

    It is slightly concerning though, it seems that earthquakes are becoming more common in Maine, and tornado warnings as well...

    ReplyDelete