Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fire Wood

This year was the first time in four years that we've paid for firewood. We bought one cord (we need about five cords to get us through the winter with using wood as our only heat, and didn't quite have what we needed to feel comfortable that we'd make it through the winter), and it was as much because we could use the wood (because we've been busier than usual - it seems - and we didn't have as much time to gather as much free wood as we've found in years past) as it was a favor to a friend - who cut, split and delivered said cord. All we had to do was stack it, and with me and my three girls all working together, it took around forty-five minutes. They're pretty awesome girls. This will be the wood we burn at the end of the season.

Since 2008, when we replaced our antique cast-iron woodstove with a high-efficiency Lopi cooktop woodstove, we've been burning free wood, for the most part, and usually, it's pine, because a lot of pine and fir trees don't survive our increasingly intense winter and spring storms, and most people just want someone to come and get the trees out of their yards - either because they have no use for firewood, or because they don't burn pine.

We do ... burn pine.

We like burning pine.

Prefer it, at certain times during the day, in fact.

Personally, I love the intense heat it puts out. Wet clothes in front of the woodstove that is filled with pine logs dry in about forty-five minutes. Honest. That's faster than an electric clothesdryer ... and it's free.

What I find is that there are a lot of misunderstandings about burning wood and what kind of wood is the best to use for home heating.

Luckily, I happened upon a really fantastic website that provides some pretty interesting facts about the nature of firewood.

Not everyone is going to or even needs to, burn wood for heat, but if there's a possibility of using firewood as a replacement for other heat options, checking out the article Best Burning Wood might prove very useful.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great link! I'm happy to read what we had learned while living with wood heat years ago. (I sooo miss that stove!)
    You'll be glad you got that wood....the farmers almanac is calling for a colder than "normal" winter for the northeast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post isn't about this article, but I have an entry into you International Book contest on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account, so could I enter here or send you my entry? I didn't see contact information anywhere on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sharon,

    Can you provide a link for me to where this International Book contest is happening on Facebook? It's not something that I am, personally, sponsoring, and so I can't help you with getting your entry accepted, but if you give me the information about who is sponsoring it, I might be able to help you get your name in the hat ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon - right you are ... but it wasn't a "giveaway" exactly.

    What I posted on Facebook on September 19 was a quote from a book, and I said that I would send the book to the first person who could correctly identify the title of the book.

    If you know the title of the book from which I quoted, please feel free to post it here, and I will consider that your entry. If you are the first one to correctly identify the book, I will send the book to you ;).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, here goes. My guess is that the book quoted is actually your book, Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs. I don't have a copy, so it's just a wild guess.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon - excellent guess, and you are correct! Please post your address here. Comments are moderated and I won't publish your address ;).

    ReplyDelete