Monday, August 20, 2012

Invasion of Privacy - the Last Frontier for Advertisers

I've been spending more time than I should on FaceBook. It's not even that I'm much of a fan of the social media, but it's insidious - like commercial television - and just, kind of, sucks you in. Which is one of the key reasons I don't watch commercial television.

Recently, I posted a link to a list of big Ag companies that own organic labels. The fact is that a lot of the food we think is good for us is really no better than the stuff that doesn't pretend. It's alternately infuriating and disheartening, and my usual response is to avoid it all - regardless of the label.

In response to my post, a friend quipped "Is nothing sacred?" and my response was "not when money is involved."

So, it was with that commentary flitting around in the back of mind that I switched over to the morning news and found this article about a pair of entrepreneurial brothers who want to start printing advertisements on toilet paper. Wow. Really? I reckon it takes the whole practice of taking the Sears and Roebuck catalog out to the privy to a new level.

Personally, when the toilet paper I buy starts coming with ads, I'm not buyng toilet paper - regardless of how Deus Ex Machina feels about cloth wipes. It's bad enough that ads infiltrate nearly every waking moment, but to even have the only quiet time I get during the day interrupted by a constant barrage of consumerist banter would just be too much.

Is anything sacred? Good question, indeed!

4 comments:

  1. I would be okay with this so long as they agreed to stop putting their junk mail in my postbox. It will give me immense pleasure to flush their garbage away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived overseas for four years we didn't have TV, only DVDs for family movie night. It was nice. Now that we're back in the US and the kids have access to television they've started to sound like walking advertisements, "Mommy, can we get (X)? It's naturally delicious!" Good grief. We're closing on our home in just over a week. There will NOT be a TV in our house. I know I can't prevent exposure all-together. But I can limit it; and then hopefully educate when it does come up.
    As for ads on TP? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I read these young entrepreneurs are going to introduce the TP in a LIBRARY!! Along with the bathroom my local library is my only other respite from advertising. Is nothing sacred anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post. My wife and I live in the typical suburban sprawl in Northern Virginia and I think we're the only ones in our neighborhood that have a TV that's never been hooked up to the cable. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that the flashing box is not controlling me. It's a monster and it need to be tamed.

    As to the question of sacredness, I couldn't help of going straight to Dylan with his lyrics from "It's Alright Ma.."

    As human gods aim for their mark
    Make everything from toy guns that spark
    To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
    It’s easy to see without looking too far
    That not much is really sacred

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    Cheers,

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete