Friday, July 6, 2012

While the Rolling Stones May Not, I Can Get Satisfaction

There's something immensely comforting about getting low on something we enjoy eating and knowing that I only have to go right outside my door to replace it.

Both Deus Ex Machina and I enjoy a nice cup of peppermint tea. The commercial tea bags are kind of hit-or-miss when it comes to flavor, and so it's nice that we aren't dependent on commercial growers for this particular tea. I just need to go outside, snip a few plants and pop them into the dehydrater.

There's also something very satisfying about the first, big, harvest of the year, which in my case, is garlic scapes.


What's more satisfying is that the garlic was planted last fall, overwintered in the ground, and then, sprouted this spring. I harvested 2 lbs of garlic scapes - from a 4'x 4' raised bed. These will be ground and dried for garlic powder - of which I use about a ton during the winter.

There's just something immensely satisfying ... and comforting ... about knowing that there are some things we can do, and grow, and make for ourselves.

At very least, it makes reading the headlines a bit less terrifying.

5 comments:

  1. There you go flaunting your un-squirrel-touched garlic again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only used scapes fresh, so I have to ask: did you mean "ground and dried", or "dried and ground"? I swaer this is a real question, I'd love to be able to store them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Kaye ;). I don't mean to rub it in, but I sure am proud of my lovely gsrlic ;).

    @ Jenn - first, I snipped (using a pair of kitchen shears) the scapes into 1" pieces, and then, I put them in the food processer and ground them up - like you would if you were making pesto. Then, I spread them on the fruit leather tray that came with our dehydrater and dried them. So, I guess I "ground and dried", but I will need to crush them further to make a powder.

    The scapes were dried by the time I had lunch, which was a scrambled egg, and I just ground some of the dried garlic between my fingers and added it to the eggs while they cooked. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the second one who has posted a picture of scapes wrapped around their arms this week - I've never grown garlic but I hope to do so at our next place, sheerly because harvesting it looks FUN. ;)

    Making the headlines a bit less terrifying - yes PLEASE! Definitely necessary these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Melonie - harvesting the scapes is very cool ... but harvesting the actual bulbs, later, is awesome!

    And using them, in the middle of winter, and knowing they came from my garden is just ... incredible :).

    ReplyDelete