Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sweet, Sweet Blue

I know there are times when our girls wish that Deus Ex Machina and I were the kind of parents for whom "fun" means FunTown/Splashtown or a day at the beach, and not to say that those things aren't fun, but those aren't the sorts of activities that we typically enjoy doing.

Vacation, for us, often means an opportunity to do things we don't always make time or have time to do in our day-to-day lives. Recently, it was picking blueberries.



The best part was not bringing home 3lbs of free food. The best part was listening to my girls, who never, not once, not even when they were sweating or being bitten by the hordes of hungry mosquitoes, complained.

Instead, they chatted, about the noise they heard in the woods, about the dog who was complaining ... as only a dog can do, and about the picking.

"Did you notice that every time there's a clump of four blueberries one of them is green?"

"Yeah! It is!"

And they talked about eating blueberries, and blueberry cobbler, and blueberry pancakes ....

So, maybe we didn't spend the holiday playing at the park or burning on the beach, but it was a fun day - one that my girls will remember fondly in December, when they're eating the fruits of their labor.

4 comments:

  1. That's the very best kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nostalgia moment for picking blueberries at Brimham Rocks (North Yorkshire)
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Maine. My nana used to send us out with a gallon Ziploc and tell us not to come home till it was full of berries. I hated it. I love it now that I have my own berry bushes. They are just coming in here in Seattle, but we have been forging ourselves on strawberries for weeks. I made my first all homegrown meal the other night. Early potatoes, eggs and peas. Loved your book and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely children you have! I, too, am grateful when I get to enjoy being with my kids, in pleasant productivity.
    Kerry
    kerrydi@pacbell.net

    ReplyDelete