Monday, June 11, 2012

Something, something showers ... and something about flowers

I planted a bunch of seeds.

And then, it started raining, and I went inside.

And when it stopped raining ...



They're not visible, yet, but corn and beans were planted in the bed with the trellis ... so that maybe they'd have a fighting chance of survival against the sunchokes and milkweed.




The spinach-chia tower. Broccoli and carrots were planted in the top of each. It looks like there's a couple of yummy meals-worth of spinach ready to enjoy :).




I finally found something that will grow in the tires - nasturtiums, hubbard squash and beans. I wish all my beds were as prolific.

Last year, we raised around 800 lbs of food (including chickens and eggs). This year, we're hoping for more ... and we'll be adding foraged food to our overall "food self-sufficiency" totals.

Some day, I'd like to see our total exceed a ton of food. Now, wouldn't that be impressive! 2000 lbs of food grown on a quarter acre in a place with a five-month growing season.

Reckon we'll need to grow heavier food ... like hubbard squash and potatoes ;).

5 comments:

  1. Curious if you are growing the hubbard squash from last year's volunteer seeds.

    800 lbs is impressive. I'm more than a little jealous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now, and I am loving your adventures in suburbia. I am trying to grow lots of food in my suburban garden too, doing better year by year, but plenty of room for improvement. It's always good to have extra inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jo. I wish you success in your adventures. It's a lot of fun to realize what's possible ... and then, to see it start happening ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Alyse. Sadly, we didn't save any seeds from the volunteer plants. I actually purchased some from Johnny's Seed this year, and I'm hoping to (remember to) save a bit o' seed this year ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you do anything special with your sunchokes? They are so fun to grow - partly because they actually grow in my poor soil. I love them raw, but cooked wasn't too swift. Maybe I just don't know how to cook them.

    And I think I've eaten milkweed buds at a NC state park - cooked by a park ranger. Seems like it was prepared like poke - boil and pour off the water twice, then eat on third reheat.

    I let poke and lamb's quarter run free near the back fence. Free food - no coddling.

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete