Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Drawers

It was December 1997. Deus Ex Machina and I had been living with Gar (Deus Ex Machina's mother) for five months, since we'd moved north after ETSing from the military (which is the Army way of saying that we'd met our contract, and we'd been honorably discharged from our term of service).

As I tried to fall asleep that night after an exhausting day of driving hither and yon, working out all of the details necessary to close on our new home, the enormity of what we'd just done overwhelmed me. We were homeowners! Oh ... EM ... GEE!

As I lay there, I thought about the house, remembering all of the particulars, the little nuiances, and I suddenly realized. There were no drawers. Not anywhere. Not in the kitchen. None.

And, then, I thought. Ridiculous. I must be remembering incorrectly. The kitchen had to have drawers. Who builds a kitchen without drawers?

Having, thus, assured myself that my recollection was false, I fell into a peaceful slumber, and the next day, when I arrived at my new house to await the truck that would deliver our household goods, which had been held in storage since July, I discovered the truth: there were no drawers!

For fourteen years, we lived with our drawer-less kitchen. We've talked about various solutions, but all of them always took a backseat to other projects that needed to be done, including: the roof, the septic system, a complete bathroom remodel, and the slow building of our farm (including actually building raised garden beds and animal housing). We've just never had the time or the money to remodel the kitchen.

But it's always been one of those things that bothered me, always in the back of my mind just niggling there.

As part of his job, Deus Ex Machina has often been sent out of town for business purposes. In the early days, I would spend the time he was gone in a depressed stupor, and when he would call, I would whine and complain for the duration of the phone call. After a few years, when I finally understood that none of my whining, complaining, pleading or cajoling would make him choose to *not* go (because I believed, however erroneously, that he had a choice in the matter), I decided that I would make better use of my time, and I started using those trips as an opportunity to remake my environment and tackle projects Deus Ex Machina had no interest in completing. Usually, it involves paint. Sometimes, it's moving furniture around.

This week was the latter, but in addition to moving a lot of stuff to a lot of different rooms, I also, finally, have drawers in my kitchen.

And I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

This unit cost me less than $60. I bought it used from the indoor Flea Market. It's a beautiful piece, and I think it lends an air of provencal to my kitchen, that is repeated in the armoire and farm table in my dining room.



My next big project involves wood and floors. Hopefully, the next trip will be on a weekend when I don't have a lot of other outside commmitments :).

5 comments:

  1. What a great piece! I have a lot of cupboards and drawers in my kitchen, but they are so high (or I am so short) that I can't reach them well, which means I don't utilize the space because I am sick of getting up and down off a chair every time I need something :-) When we were growing up, my mom had no kitchen cabinets or counters. She used our kitchen table and one of those old metal closets. She was very excited when she finally was able to remodel her kitchen - when I was a junior in high school. It was definitely a challenging 18 years with no kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Glad you found a solution that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOO! Pretty!
    I have a tendency to purposely save up projects for Manly's trips. The past few years I've tackled a lot of things that way. Good distraction to make the time pass more quickly and to control things when I certainly can't control what could go on where he is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great piece of furniture and you have plenty of drawers now!

    ReplyDelete