Wednesday, November 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo - FAIL!

As with most things, when I decided to - once again - embark on the NaNoWriMo 2011 adventure, I did so hoping for the best, expecting the worst, and also, as with mos things, I grandly exceeded my expectations ;). That is, I barely made a dent in the 50,000 word requirement. Sure, I have the rest of the day, but I also have some "real" work to do, and, unless I mimic "Jack" in The Shining, there's not much chance I can reach the goal.

Instead of writing for the month, I've been reading, and I finished four or five books this month - which is a personal record ;).

Now that the pressure's off, I might actually finish my novel ... not the one I'm reading, rather the one I'm writing. Yesterday, I finally wrote out my outline ;). Perhaps I should have done that first ... at very least, it would have increased my word count :).

4 comments:

  1. Bummer you didn't make it. I didn't even try though.

    Outlines are pretty, but remember FARf's Law: no outline survives intact past Chapter 3. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not an "outline" so much as a, kind of, summary. When I wrote my non-fiction book, it helped to have an annotated table of contents so that I knew what it was I wanted to say. I figured it couldn't hurt with the fiction ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I didn't even break 15,000 words on mine. Maybe over the winter I can get further with it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ e4 - sounds like you probably got further than I did ;). I'm hoping I will have the chance/motivation to work on mine this winter, too ;).

    ReplyDelete