Sunday, July 3, 2011

Great Place to Visit - Glad Not to Live There, But ...

On Monday, June 27, I hopped on a bus with two of my young daughters for a week long trip to the City That Never Sleeps for a national dance competition with their competition dance team. I had many opportunities to do a little bit of exploring, and I talked with a lot of people while I was there (in fact, my daughters were a bit surprised by the fact that I would strike up a conversation with just about anyone who would make eye contact ;), and I learned a great deal.

I have a lot to say about the trip, about things I saw, about things I learned, but that's for another day.

In the meantime, if you're on Facebook, I've posted some of my observations here.

One of the fun things that the girls' dance teacher orchestrated while they were there was to have each girl be a "secret buddy" to one of her team mates. Each day the secret buddy would give a gift, on the sly, and the object was to try to guess who was one's secret buddy.

A couple of the dance moms got into the spirit and gave some little something to each of the other dance moms. The day we left, my secret buddy gave me an "I ♥ New York" button and postcard and a list of "Ten Things I Learned in NYC." My favorite one is 7. There are good people and bad people. It is your choice which ones effect your life.

I would add to the list, A smile and a kind word are free. I can give and give and give and never run out. And most of the people I met in NYC dispelled the myth of the rude and obnoxious New Yorker. Most of them were very kind and were just as happy to receive my smile as they were to offer one back.

2 comments:

  1. I was following your FB posts, Wendy. Thanks for the vicarious tour ;) Glad you and the girls made it home safely...I'm sure you're all spilling with stories to tell the ones who remained at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised at how friendly New Yorkers were on my first visit this past September. They were always so helpful to give directions and explain the subway. One woman actually missed her stop to stay on and help us map out our stops. I agree it's a nice place to visit but maybe a little fast paced for me.

    ReplyDelete