Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Celebrate ... With Flowers That You Can Eat


Our neighbor is having a birthday today. She's an amazing woman - so sweet and generous. My girls adore her, and she and her husband adore my girls. So when these special days come around, we like to acknowledge them.

The girls went out in the garden and picked flowers. We don't have a "cut flower" garden, though, and so seeing some of what we have to offer as being in a bouquet might be a challenge.

The bouquet included things like tiny yellow flowers that are indicative of cool-weather loving plants getting too hot (and the fact that I need to start the subsequent planting ... but the bees like the flowers and so I'm letting them go for just a bit longer - per Deus Ex Machina's request ;).

And we included some of the wispy asparagus that's also gone past. It makes a nice addition for the different texture it provides.

We had one day lily in bloom and that made it into the bouquet, along with fragrant milkweed and bee balm flowers. We also snipped some yarrow, red clover and catnip flowers.

What's remarkable, I think, is that we were able to create this beautiful arrangement of flowers - all of which are edible perennials - and for me, it just supports the fact, that even a food garden has some aesthetic qualities. A garden can be both functional and ornamental. It's not an either/or thing.

And my neighbor loves it. She said it made her heart warm to see the girls standing there with the bouquet.

Although the 1/2 pint of freshly picked, black raspberries probably contributed to the warm fuzzies ;).

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely gesture, Wendy and girls ;) Your use of the asparagus reminded me of my sister-in-law's wedding bouquet many years ago...we used lilies from my garden, with lots of beautifully frothy asparagus greens, tied with an ivory ribbon - it was absolutely stunning. Flowers are always appreciated in our home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cilantro and radish flowers have made it into several bouquets recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Cilantro has a beautiful flower, almost like dill or Queen Ann's lace...and wasps (good insects!) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought I would share this with you - it's a group that sends free seeds to families who need them.

    http://www.dinnergarden.org/index.html

    ReplyDelete