Monday, April 4, 2011

Eternity Road

Excerted from Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs: The Thrivalist's Guide to Life Without Oil:

I ... read Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt about a future world with no books. No books. The thought makes my skin crawl. The story is about a group of adventurers who risk their lives to find a mythical place where books have been preserved.

After reading the novel, ... I had to consider which books would I preserve for posterity, which ones would I want to save that would represent my culture to a future world? I have not been able to come up with a list, because I couldn't get beyond the idea of a world without books. What I do know, for me, at this moment, is that as long as I have a little money, I'll buy books, and if any money is left, I'll buy food and clothing. Because I can grow food, and I can make clothes, but books ... well, without books so much knowledge is lost ... and if the world as we know it is going to end, the biggest tragedy would be the loss of the incredible wealth of information that is contained in our books.

The winner of the book, Eternity Road, is Kimberly. Congratulations! Please leave your full name and address to which you would like your book mailed in the comments. I will not publish your information.

No comments:

Post a Comment