Monday, April 11, 2011

Enough

I'm watching Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. Many years ago, I watched Zeitgeist: the Movie. It was terrifying in its implications, because, basically, it presented the scenario of what we are currently experiencing, explained how we got where we are, but then, stopped. It suggested what we should be doing (but really, don't we all know what we should be doing anyway?), but without any real, clear direction.

Don't get me wrong. I think both films are incredibly important. The one I'm watching has had five million viewers. It needs more. Not even half the US population has watched it, yet. We need, at least, half.

Earlier, I watched an interview with the director and a panel of individuals who are associated with the film and the Venus Project, which is being touted as the answer to the world's problem. It was a very interesting interview, and it seems to me (although it may not to them) that what I say in Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs is very similar to what they propose - the bottom line of which is: we have to stop our consumptive behaviors, we have to figure out "enough", and we have to learn to live within the framework of the environment in which we find ourselves (i.e. locally).

I live in Maine, and I can use the resources that I have locally, which means that I should not be dependent on oranges ... or oil. If I lived in Arizona or Kentucky or France, my lifestyle choices and resource options would be very different.

The bottom line is that we can not have it all - every individual in the world, can not have every little thing that he/she desires, but if we are wise, we can all have enough.

I promised to pick a person to receive a copy of my book on April 8, and I dropped the ball. As such, I have decided to pick three.

The categories are:
  • first time commenter and this book goes to Chamis;

  • long-time reader who didn't receive one of the other giveaway items and this book goes to Barefoot;

  • commenter who followed and commented throughout the 21-Day series, and this book goes to Jennie.

Please leave your contact information in the comments section. Comments are moderated, and I will not publish your address.

... and if you receive a copy of the book and wanted to post a review on Amazon or any other online venue in which people might see what you thought, I would really appreciate it (yes, even if you don't think it's worth five stars ;).

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Thanks Wendy, that's very generous of you.
    Hubby and I have been looking through the Human Powered home book from you.
    We just invested in a bike for him, with a trailer for me to haul our son. We had our first family bike ride yesterday and everyone really enjoyed it. (I was worried.) It's a big relief to me to have all of us taken care of for human-powered conveyance. (At least for now, darn kid won't stop growing. :-D)
    Thanks again for this new book, I'm a voracious reader, and I absolutely will post a review on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and Thanks. I saw the original Zeitgeist movie (bought the DVD) but wasn't aware there were new releases.

    Most of this newest release hits home, although I had problems with the 'Utopian' scenario taken from Project Venus that seemed to leave out personal initiatives and input while nonetheless marshalling resources shared by all.

    Now I need to go look at what seems to be an interim video, unless I mis-read.

    I agree, we all need to look at "What Matters? What is Enough?" I may post something about it when I get a clear picture of how I feel about it, and what it means to me, and to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darius, I wasn't terribly excited about the Project Venus either. It's still a city, but it's too ... contrived ... too planned ... too "Brave New World." I didn't like the design, and I really didn't like the fact that he envisions machines doing all of the work - even growing the food. I kept wondering, what will humans do?

    What I also found interesting was that they spent two hours lambasting the money system and talking about how unnatural and fake it is, and then they offer a solution that's incredibly complicated and not even remotely doable.

    Personally, I think local living, wherever we are, and modifying our lifestyles to be local, and closer to nature (they talk about being closer to "nature", but there's nothing "natural" about electric cars or vertical hydroponic gardens). They give a lot of lip service about living "sustainably", but really, the only way to live sustainably is in a way that is directly related to us getting what we need from our LOCAL environment and using our own labor to get it.

    But at least they're opening the dialogue and trying to find solutions, and that's really the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Found your blog towards the end of my evening shift. This led me to discover the movie Zeitgeist, which I have begun to watch. I just discovered the tv series Jericho this past weekend too. Things seem to be forming a pattern here lately for me. Weird. But thanks!

    ReplyDelete