Monday, December 20, 2010

Inconceivable

I received this phone call the other day. Caller ID said it was "out of area" and there was no number. I should know better, but occasionally, it's a person (usually it's a recording, and I usually just hang up), and occasionally, it's a person to whom we really wish to speak.

The caller told me his name was Sean Anderson - in his very thick, very obviously Indian (as in from India) accent, and I almost ... almost ... laughed ... out loud ..., but that would have been rude. Maybe his name really was Sean Anderson, but my guess is that it's not.

Anyway.

He proceeds to tell me that he is going to offer me this great deal with lots of savings on my shopping trips, and he has these $25 gift cards to all of these different stores, which he rattles off, but I don't understand most of the ones he mentions, because he's saying them so fast and his accent is so thick, and he keeps rattling on with me catching about every five words, and he drops all of these really large dollar sums (I think he said something about saving $4000, but I'm not sure). I'm just getting poised to tell him "no, thanks" and hang up the phone when he asks me a question:

"Do you shop at Wal-Mart, Ma'am?"

Yes, that thump was me falling onto the floor so that I could roll around laughing my ass off (for the second time in as many weeks - if this keeps up I'm going to need a belt to hold up my jeans :). Obviously, he doesn't read my blog, because if he did, he'd have never asked that question.

I said, rather emphatically, "No, I do not shop at Wal-Mart."

So, he asked, "Is there no Wal-Mart near you, Ma'am?"

To which I replied, "There are Wal-Marts all over the place. I just don't shop there."

I think I stumped him. I mean, if half your sales pitch is to tell the potential dupe ... er ... customer how much money off of the already low, low prices they can save with your program, what do you say to a woman who says she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart?

I started to ask him if he had a discount card that could be used at Goodwill, but I decided to just be honest, because even if he did offer some great discount at Goodwill, I still wouldn't sign up for his program. What's that saying: if it sounds too good to be true, chances are, it is. And most of these money-saving offers end up costing a great deal.

So, I very nicely explained that I wasn't really a shopper, and that he had just, unfortunately, been given a bad number, and perhaps he should try calling someone else, because I wasn't really interested.

Oh, and have a nice day ... goodbye.

I wonder how many sales calls Sean makes each day in which he is told, emphatically, "I choose not to shop at Wal-Mart, even though they are available to me."

My guess is not many.

5 comments:

  1. Go you! We don't get too many of those calls since we went on the Do Not Call list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! that's great! I always get that blank, questioning stare every time someone finds out I won't go in a Wal-Mart. It's really kinda scary that people can't conceive some others would choose not to participate in such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't go to Walmart either. But I don't get any points for it 'cuz it's a two hour drive!

    BTW: I tried your hot air popcorn method, even posted a video of it. It's fantastic. The sieve doesn't even get hot. How it do that!

    Hope your having a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm.

    If Goodwill opened in my hometown it would crush the local thriftstore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! You had me cracking up! I could just imagine his face when you said you didn't shop at Walmart!

    ReplyDelete