Monday, October 18, 2010

Chicken Food

One of the members of my Permaculture Meet-Up group posted a link to this blog post about plants that can be grown as chicken fodder.

We're growing many of them, already ;) - not because I wanted them for my chickens, but because we were already growing many of them. I thought the author's observation about comfrey (the chickens will eat it to the ground mercilessly) was pretty amusing, because it's been my observation as well. I'd add another plant to the list: hostas. Both the chickens and the ducks eat the hostas to the ground.

With an eye to the future, for those of us who are keeping suburban farm animals, we will certainly need to be considering incorporating some (if not all) of these food plants into our spaces. We still use commercial feed, at the moment, but it's not so far-fetched an idea that we might need to start foraging food for ourselves AND our chickens in the future. The more we've prepared our nanofarm to feed all of us, the better off we'll be.

I'm thinking I need to get some of those Jerusalem artichokes replanted back by the coop area. If nothing else, they would sure look pretty back there ;).

2 comments:

  1. I have about 30 different varities of hosta...it's funny, the chickens totally ignore the hostas when I let them in the garden, but if I break off a leaf and throw it in the coop they go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your site while researching ways to wean ourselves off commercial chicken food. I've also written a post about useful plants to grow in and around chicken runs:

    http://green-change.com/2010/11/20/plants-for-the-chicken-run/

    Jerusalem artichokes are one crop that I'd really like to grow more of. I'm also going to experiment with mangelwurzels this year (we're just coming into spring here in Australia) - they're supposed to be a very productive fodder crop that stores well for winter.

    I'm checking out the rest of your site, so you might see some more comments from me shortly :-).

    ReplyDelete