Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Getting Sauced



I picked up a half bushel of tomatoes from my CSA last weekend and made tomato sauce. I thought I'd only have seven quarts, but the half bushel ended up making ten (one jar didn't seal and ended up in the freezer).

When I can tomato sauce, I do it the laziest way possible, because ... well, because I just don't have a lot of patience, really, but also because I just don't have a lot of extra minutes to spend in the kitchen. Basically, I quarter the tomatoes, cut off the stem and blossom ends and cook them until they're soft. Then, I send them through the food processor, pour the liquid into jars (with two tablespoons of lemon juice per quart jar), and process the jars in a boiling water bath for forty minutes.

Easy peasy.

And as long as I was sealing jars of tomato sauce anyway, I figured I might as well seal the sauerkraut, too.

Ten jars of tomato sauce and two more sauerkraut - not bad for an afternoon's work ;).

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a successful afternoon to me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    Hey I would have sent you an email but I couldn't find it... you may not have it listed for general public. Anyways, question; what was the name of that food safety bill you posted about not too long ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh - it was in this post. The Senate bill is S-510. The house bill, which has already passed, is HR 2749. They will be working on a combined bill IF the Senate version passes. Given their very strong support of small, local farmers, I fully expect that both Maine Senators will vote it down if it does not include the provision that excludes small producers from having to comply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wendy. I pulled up a food safety bill the other day with similar stipulations but it wasn't the same. I should of sent it to you yesterday because now I cant find it- errr. If I find it I will send you over the link. :)

    ReplyDelete