Thursday, July 15, 2010

Volunteer

Add the following information to the good to know category ...

PURSLANE: This edible weed makes good ground cover in the corn patch. Use the stems, leaves and seeds in stir-frys. Pickle the green seed pod for caper substitutes. If purslane is growing in your garden it means you have healthy, fertile soil!

... because ...



I never planted it.

I love volunteers. It reminds me that Mother Nature usually knows what to do much better than I do, and if we pay attention to her lessons, we will always learn something very valuable.

9 comments:

  1. Yum, I like purslane. You can use the tender leaves raw in salads as well for a nice tangy taste. They go well with corn, sweet onion, tomato, and roasted chiles with a splash of vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also simply eat it in salads. I love purslane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas. When I was showing Deus Ex Machina where it was in the garden the other day, he was saying that we needed to do a bit of sleuthing about how we could use it :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I could kick myself for "weeding" so much of this from past gardens/flowerbeds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, it's a weed. I'm ever amazed at the number of "weeds" growing wild around here that turn out to be edible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. huh. I didn't know that! My garden has lots of these! Grows all over! Guess next time I'm in the garden, I'll pick it and see what it tastes like! Thanks for the info! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. This is the first year I have "grown" this in my garden. It pretty much took over any empty space. I had no idea it was edible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah thanks for the heads up. Im always pulling and pitching this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh I now I know what purslane looks like! I just pulled some out of my garden yesterday! Drat, we could have eaten it!

    ReplyDelete