Monday, July 19, 2010

Ethical Eating

While the ethics of eating was not the impetus for our dietary choices, it has become an important part of the way we eat.

For instance, we don't buy our meat at the grocery store, because most of it comes from CAFOs,

... and there's a particular chain restaurant in our area that happily admits its partnership with Smithfield farms - which is the poster child for the worst of the worst in factory farming and has been pinpointed as the source of last year's swine flu outbreak -, and I will no longer eat there.

We often have to look for alternatives for the things we want and have been lucky to usually find them. Instead of the Smithfield partner, we have the choice of going to a barbeque place just up the road a piece, which purports to source their meat from Wolfeneck Farm (a former Maine-owned, grass-fed, organic beef farm). It's good food, it's a fun atmosphere, and I happily support them.

Still, sometimes having such strong feelings about the food we eat is very difficult. It's hard to say to your daughter, "I'm sorry, we can't go with your friends to that restaurant because the food they serve comes from abused animals."

So, it's really nice (oh, so very nice!) when companies make my choices easier, like Buck's Naked BBQ serving Wolfesneck Farm beef ... and this article about sustainable fishing practices in the Gulf of Maine and a new policy at our local (large chain) grocery store regarding sustainable fishing and what they will sell in their stores ;).

So, cool!

Hey, Deus Ex Machina ... I think we need to eat more fish.

4 comments:

  1. I have found this the hardest part of parenting-- when our ethical views do not line up with those of their friend's families. It's not the saying "no" that is hard, but the fear that our dedication to our beliefs will make others think badly of our kids. I don't care what you think of me, but Momma Guilt kicks in, and is hard for me to let go...

    It is good to know we have friends out there who also make the hard choices based on their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rach :) - What's that? Misery loves company? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These links, too, on Smithfield. I won't touch their products and am learning to live without deli lunch meat in part so I can avoid them. I'm so glad we can get local pork, now =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links, Lorri. Smithfield has become one of those "the more you know, the more there is to not like." I won't touch their stuff, either, and in fact, if we can't get the pork locally, then we don't eat it - much to my daughter's dismay, as she loves bacon. Unfortunately, Smithfield is the top pork supplier in the country, but seriously, just one video or news report about the way their animals are treated is enough to turn my stomach. And it's senseless, too, because well treated animals aren't less productive. Of course, I read an article about Smithfield and according to the article, the owner could not care less about anything that doesn't increase his profit margin. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete