Monday, May 3, 2010

We Interrupt This Water Supply

With everything else that's happening in the world, I suppose that, it's possible that, I tend to pay closer attention to news stories like this one.

I'm planning to install a well - either hand dug or driven - with a hand pump, and maybe, eventually, a windmill pump that would pump the water into a solar hot water heater on my roof.

But I haven't done it, yet. It's one of those when-I-get-around-to-it projects.

This sort of story, though makes me a little antsy to get the project underway.

This line from the story ... police in Revere had to be called into a BJ's Wholesale Club after crowds clamoring for bottled water turned unruly was a little too close to what Alex Scarrow describes in his doomer novel, Last Light.

I've always thought that we wouldn't degenerate so quickly into the violent hoards that the doomer fiction writers predict. After reading that story, I'm not so sure anymore. If this sort of thing happens when it's just a water main broken, what would happen if the infrastructure really broke down?

What happens if the trucks stop delivering food to the grocery store, because the the price per gallon for gasoline gets too high AND a water main breaks?

Perhaps it's time to invest in a Berkey water filter or at least the DIY version ... and, perhaps, if we had another rainbarrel ... or two ... we wouldn't need to dig a well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Makes me really glad to have our own well, and our own septic (recently "serviced"). Of course we're dependent on the electrical pumps and even stored water runs out. But the original well (not the one currently in use) is still on our property, and the water line is usually only a few inches below the level of our basement. I know how to get water out of a well with just a bucket and rope. Since we're on a small hill, I don't worry overmuch about contamination, and I know how to sterilize water just using sunlight.

    Water is really one of those things you don't want to have to worry about. I'm glad we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's scary how quickly people turn violent.

    We were in Biloxi two weeks after Katrina. The only thing keeping some areas reasonably safe was armed military personnel and barbed wire.

    A Berkey is definitely at the top of my preps wish list!

    ReplyDelete