Thursday, May 13, 2010

Freak Out!


I'll admit it. I was a wee bit freaked out to be out there "helping", sans protective gear, while Deus Ex Machina was installing the bees. Although, at least initially, the girls didn't seem phased at all ;).

He was the picture of calm, cool and collected.



We only lost three bees to stings - one to Deus Ex Machina's lip, one to his arm, and one to Little Fire Faery's ear (at which point she wailed, "I didn't do anything to the bee! Why did it sting me!?!").

And the camera batteries died before I could get a picture of the bees in the hive ... or one of me "helping" ... hey, someone had to take pictures and man the sugar water bottle** :).



**Most beekeepers use a smoker to "calm" the bees, but we've opted to use a spray bottle full of sugar water. With the smoke, the bees go into survival mode, because they believe there is a fire, and they are trying to save the hive. Spraying them with sugar water makes them stop and clean themselves. We only had three stings, and so it must have worked pretty well, but it was still a little nerve-wracking to have bees flying about my head ;).

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to have bees and look forward to hearing about your bee hive adventures. My son and I attended a program on beekeeping when we lived in Chicago and found it fasinating! The guy that did our program was in a full body suit of protective gear and I figured that was how all beekeepers did it. You impressed me by setting up your hive without gear and only getting three stings.

    ReplyDelete